anybody good with wines?

leckershell

Reaction score
Next Monday is our "last meal" at college, where we make it for the first hour and eat it for the second hour.

The menu is Italian:

Linguine with mussels and walnut pesto
Nicoise salad
Pasta with Mozzarella and Tomatoes
Wild mushroom and fennel risotto
Pork in Orange and mustard glaze
Brushetta - tomato, mozzarella and parma ham
Torta di more (blackcurrant tarte)

Since I'm doing the bruschetta and my ingredients are by far the cheapest, I'm in charge of wine. Need enough for 8 people to drink with their meal but not get hammered. So I guess about 2 bottles?

What wine/s should I get that would go with that meal?!

tbh that is a big mixture of flavors for one wine to match....

does it have to be red or white?

Rioja!!!!

Bestest red wine ever and goes with food with strong flavours.

SarahH said:
tbh that is a big mixture of flavors for one wine to match....

does it have to be red or white?

Either, maybe one of each? :think: I'm sure if I turned up with the wrong sort nobody would complain but I was just trying to get a heads up see what anyone else thought. How to find a wine that goes with fish as well as pork?!

Does Italy do wines? Would that be best or any country?

As you're going for Italian, I would definately choose a good red Italian Chianti, it's a savoury wine and goes well with most dishes :)

Keep in the theme and go italian :cheer:

Happybunny said:
Rioja!!!!

Bestest red wine ever and goes with food with strong flavours.

We had Tapas last term and I took Rioja 8) I agree it's nice :D

kirlykird said:
As you're going for Italian, I would definately choose a good red Italian Chianti, it's a savoury wine and goes well with most dishes :)

Keep in the theme and go italian :cheer:

Think I heard someone mention chianti last night..

Should I get a couple bottles of the same, or 2 different ones? :?

Chianti is yummy also. Probs best for italian meal. Although I have rioja with everything :rotfl:
(or I used to... :cry: )

Chianti is red?

I'll have a look for some when I'm next in Morrisons :) thanks :cheer:

There are a lot of people that don't do red wine (weirdos!) so I would, in keeping with the Italian theme, take a bottle of chianti and a bottle of pinot grigio.

If you're heading to Morrisons, both the red and white wine areas are divided by country so you could just check out the Italian section and pick whatever has a discounted yellow lable. That's how I buy my wine anyway!!!

That's why I love Morrisons (used to work there) and I also find they have a better variety than other supermarkets.

I'm a saddo and love Morrisons too :oops:

I worked there through college & uni back in the days & I agree it's my fave supermarket!

However, these days I have to drive about 25 miles to get to one & they're not even proper ones like in the mids & up north :shakehead:

Saddo, that's my new name :rotfl:

8people and 2 bottles will only give people 1 glass each really. Is that enough for you?

Well 8 people is the maximum, for the past couple of weeks there have only been 6 of us, and I know next week at least 1 person will be driving and has already said they won't be drinking..

You need 4 bottles :D Or maybe that's just me hehe

I'd take 2 red and 2 white - as above, Italian to keep in with the theme. & I agree that Chianti's always nice for red and you can't go wrong with Pinot Grigio for the white xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back