ANYBODY ABLE TO HELP WITH BLOOD TESTS FOR IRREGULAR CYCLES??

rhian85

Reaction score
hey ladies..

im having very irregular cycles varyin from 38-63 days long :shakehead: :wall: been to GP today and she has sent me for blod tests but im hoping one of you can tell me what they all mean and what it means if they come back wrong. she said some thing about having the bloods done around the end of my period ? does this mean CD 21 ??

here are the requested tests:

LH: FSH
TESTOSTERONE
SHBG
TFTS
PROLACTIN ?? (I THINK)

ANY HELP HERE LADIES ?

Hope I can help

LH:FSH gives an indicator of egg quality and the ratio between the two can help determine whether you have PCOS, ideally you want a 1:1 ratio and low numbers

TFTS - is thyroid function test to check that your thyroid is producing hormones correctly to induce ovulation

prolactin is produced to produce breast milk so high levels may prevent you ovulating

testosterone not sure, something to do with it being a predominantly male hormone or something so high levels may prevent ovulation

don't know what shbg is

this website might help

http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/hormonelevels.html

FSH and LH should be tested early on in cycle i.e. cd2-3 and progesterone on cd21 or 7 days after ovulation if you know when that occurs

Hi Rhian

I had my hormone levels done last year but all my GP told me was that they were 'normal' which doesn't really help much does it?!? All I do know is that a high testosterone level can be a sign of PCOS, as can having a high LH level (this should only be high when you are about to ovulate as it causes the egg to be released). TFT's are thyroid function tests - to check that you don't have an under or over active thyroid. FSH stands for follicle stimulating hormone and has something to do with your supply of eggs ( :think: I think it should be lower when you're young and slowly increases with age, as your egg reserves decrease, but I could be totally wrong!!). Not sure about the other tests mentioned.

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be along soon!

I've had the blood tests (although I don't know about the specific things they were looking at). If your doctor treats you like mine did, she will test at day 21, then 28, then 35... until she is sure you've ovulated, or you get your period. She will be able to tell whether you have ovulated or not, through the FSH or LH levels.

I unfortunately did not get a level high enough for the doctor to think that I had ovulated, which was disappointing (obviously!) but at least I know that I don't ovulate every cycle and that is one of the main issues I'm facing with fertility!

Hope this helps a little bit.

thanks ladies- helped me alot - will let u know when i have my results :pray: :pray: :pray: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back