any tips on baby boy sleeping through the night?

lisa_davidson

Reaction score
hi,

yes i know that cos my baby is so young he's gonna wake up through the night. but in the day he sleeps for like four hours at a time, has his feed, gets changed then goes back down for another four or five hours....

but at night .... he doesn't. in the dayhe seems to prefer being in his car seat or slightly tilted up at his head.... but everyone says this is dangerous at night....does anyone know why??i know it's important for babies to be flat for their bones any everything to grow properly...but does slightly tilted make any difference?

any other tips on him sleeping better at night would be appreciated...

thankyou

lisa xxxx

You could elevate his mattress with something i guess....not muchof a idea but then stephen as a newborn actually used a pillow for a mattress in his moses basket, but i did put a sheet over it!
Do not do what i did though by any means, for me it was the only way stephen was comfortablle and i got some bloomin sleep!

For those of you reading this and thinking im a terrible mother, he was right next to me and incase i sleot too deeply i had a monitor that would alert me iincase he stopped breathing at all (akarm goes off) and this never happend!

Ive raised the cot on one side, he sleeps through no probs now. Only wakes up if he has sore gums or a soggy bum coz the nappy leaked.

Tia had problems sleeping at night...she liked being upright so I put a hard pillow under her mattrass to elevate it a bit, but it didn't really work.

There used to be a sleep clinic for mums with babies who had sleeping probs and the used to advise me to keep the house as noisy and active during the day and as quiet and tranquil at night so that they baby started to know the difference between night and day. Also only to put the baby in the cot at night. Keeping the baby in the center of the household during the day, while hoovering or having the TV on etc...and at night being very quiet not talking much...when baby wakes for a feed etc. It might help get the baby adjusted to sleeping more at night and being more stimulated during the day?

I don't know why its supposed to be dangerous to have the baby sitting upright at night, I suppose it has to do with cot death, but then it would be just as dangerous then for the baby to sleep that way during the day too??...Tia slept in the bed with me countless times as she was breast fed and again was the only way I could get any sleep, and that's supposed to bad too nowadays.

But you will want to get the baby used to sleeping in his own bed anyways, so it's good to get him started now while he is young.

BTW your baby was born on my birthday...Geminis are the best!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

mrs_tommo22 said:
as a newborn actually used a pillow for a mattress in his moses basket, but i did put a sheet over it!
Do not do what i did though by any means, for me it was the only way stephen was comfortablle and i got some bloomin sleep!

For those of you reading this and thinking im a terrible mother, he was right next to me and incase i sleot too deeply i had a monitor that would alert me iincase he stopped breathing at all (akarm goes off) and this never happend!

I did that too a few times to see if it would make any difference. I would have tried anything. If you are going to use a pillow in the basket I would even try the one you sleep on. Your scent might make him feel safer.

The things I have done to help are

make sure there is a difference between night and day, more reason to stay awake in the day than the night. I stay upstairs at night so he knows nights are upstairs days are downstairs.

One thing i have done recently is put a comforter in his cot that I put in my bra straps for a while prior to bed so it smells of me and he snuggles up to it.

I gave him my pillow and he slept a treat, I will do it again if this new baby doesnt sleep.For us as adults comfort is a must - so why not a baby?i know safety is a big factor but you take all the precaustions out.

During the day Eefie used to nap on a couple of pillows on the couch, HV said he loves them doesnt he so she had no problem with it. I then switched to the V shaped pillow which I also use to prop him up which he's really comfy on and if I'm not in the room he goes in his rocker chair. In his cot I dont like having the pillows so I raised it underneath. He's never liked sleeping flat.

christopher was like this hun in the first 2 months he used to sleep all day and then want awake time at night
HV told me to be noisy in the day and quiet in the night and when feeding him in middle of the night not to change his nappy unless hed had a poo or was really wet so we were not waking him up so much she also told us not to talk to him in the night when feeding him or seeing to him keep lights low and keep him upstairs feed him wind him and put him straight back down it worked a treat for us after a few days he started drinking less and less in the nights and then started sleeping through for about 10 hours a night :D
good luck xxxxxxxxx

I used to do all my normal stuff during day, id hoover while he was asleep in his moses basket and id have my music and tv blaring.
But once it came to settle down time lights would go low, he would have a bath,have a session with the talc, get him dressed in clean night clothes and give him a bottle without speaking to him and keeping it all quiet.

As a newborn this did taken a while to get into cos his feeds were all over the place!but once he was in a routine he started to settle down and soon got used to sleepy times.By 5 months he was sleeping all way through

And does now as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back