Any advise for a teenager with period pain????

Amanda

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't know where to put this. I know it's not related to pregnancy or babies, but I know how good you all are with advice.

I have a daughter Kayleigh who's 13 in a month. She started her periods about 6 months ago, and they have been pretty regular since, but the pain has got increasingly bad each month.

Last night she asked for some paracetamol, and sat on the sofa with a hot water bottle on her tummy. This morning she said it was worse, but took some more tablets, and went to school as normal. I got a call from the school about an hour ago to say she was doubled up with pain. :(

As I'm at work, my parents have picked her up, and she's now being spoiled rotten at their house until I finish at 4.30pm. My mum has rang to tell me that Kayleigh is very pale, quiet (not like her!), and seems to be in a lot of pain.

I've only ever suffered from this for a few months after I gave birth to her, so can't really offer her any advice.

Does anyone know of anything that she can take safely, especially due to her age???

i use to suffer terribly with this tell her to get in a hot bath all things u do for labour bascially
if it carrys on get to GPS i was given sum tablets as i would not sleep for 4 days while i was on as it was that bad they wer a painkiller that really helpedat 15 i was put on the pill for this reason as it also helps withperiod pain but dont think it wld be a good idea for her to have this lol

tell her she needs loads of choccie ice cream to :) and to be taken shopping by mummy

Thanks Sarah. Unfortuntely, we don't have a bath, just a walk in shower. :( Stupid house!

Choccie ice-cream sounds good, and we were planning on going shopping tomorrow for clothes for the holiday, so hopefully that'll make her feel better. :D

Tankett ...

Hun i was put on the pill at 13 for my periods ... i used to bleed so bad and couldn't walk ...

ibruphen is normally ok for her to take ... you need to get her to a GP though hun, server periods can lead to bigger problems in a few years ..

Best of luck, hope she's better soon ...

Hi Tankett,

Your poor daughter. When I was about 13/14 I got extremely bad period pain & used to roll around the kitchen floor in tears but my doctor wouldn't put me on the pill coz he said I was too young (tahnks again for that doc :evil: ) but when I was old enough it did wonders.

Have you tried Feminax? I found it to be great & worked alot better than normal paracetomel or Ibruprofen and was really quick to work. Here's a link about it -

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002943.html

The only other things I did to ease the pain was a hot water bottle or gentle excercise. I got a tens machine today for my labour but apparently they are quite good for period pain too so might try it out for that when my periods return.

Hope she's ok.

Nicki.x

dont know how well they work as i havent tried them myself but heres a few tips iv found may be worth a try if she has that bad!

try drinking mint tea. it tastes great and does wonders for your body. (chamomile with a spoonful of sugar also helps apparently)

to take relaxation to the full, try soaking in a bath in some of lavender or tea tree bath foam and add a little peppermint oil to calm and relax you after a hard day - or just for a great treat

'Indian Brandee'
you can buy Indian Brandee from nearly all chemists and its only bout £1-£1.50 a bottle. (its actually for cholic and..er..flatulence!!!!)
it Dont taste that great either but works a treat

Regular physical activity often reduces cramping in some women.

Natural progesterone may help reduce the symptoms that are causing menstrual cramps.

Supplementing your diet with zinc and calcium has been found to reduce cramps, bloating, and related PMS symptoms.

Herbal remedies such as Viburnum prunifolium, Scutellaria spp., and Cimicifuga raemosa have an antispasmodic effect that may reduce some menstrual cramps. Other useful herbs include cramp bark, squaw vine, unicorn root, bromelain, evening primrose oil, and blue cohosh.

Try taking a warm bath and using aromatherapy or using a heating pad on your lower abdomen or back. If you don't have a heating pad, a heating pad can be made by filling a sock with rice and heating it in the microwave.

Taking time for yourself, relaxing, and letting those around you know that you are not feeling yourself will help by reducing the stress of your everyday life that may contribute to your menstrual cramps.

hope she feels better soon!

I have to agree with Feminax and also going on the pill. I used to get really heavy bad periods in the first year I got them with migraines and sickness, when I went on the min-pill they became alot better and the migraines stopped.

Try getting her to sit in the shower with it aimed at her tummy. A good massage on her tummy rom a power shower could help? I used to do it when I got aches and pains when pregnant and when my labour first started so could help?

Hope she feels better soon, it sucks being 12/13 when you first get you period. I got mine at that age :(

xxx

I used to get really bad periods and i lived on paracodol, its kind of very strong paracetamol, a kind of co-codamol but less strong i think...it can make you drowsy but took away all the pain, i would only recommend 1 at a time cause her body wont be used to them though and you dont usually need 2 like with paracetamol.

Every 4 hours 1 tablet, took away all my pain..You can get them over the counter in any chemist too.

Hope this helps.

Cassi x

If the pain is on the left side of her abdomen it could be appendix problems... often this gets confused with period pains. Esp if she is pale too. just a thought

I used to get really bad period pain and would have to lay on my tummy all day just to help ease the pain a bit, I think it might be an idea to see the docs, I went on the pill and it helped loads, maybe something to think about?

nicki said:
Have you tried Feminax? I found it to be great & worked alot better than normal paracetomel or Ibruprofen and was really quick to work. Here's a link about it -

Nicki.x

Def Agree with this, Feminax is great REALLY used to help me when I was younger.... xxxxxxxx

Nurofen plus, your only man...

I have suffered like that since I was 16, they wanted to put me on the pill but was afraid of side effects. Some doctors recommend taking an anti prostaglandin (hormone that causes cramps) but I'm not sure how old it is safe to take that...

I usually sleep it off, and believe me, I used to vomit with the pain of mine. My Mom too...

Sue

Evening Primrose and also Raspberry Leaf Tea tablets..... a bit more natural for someone so young. Along with hotwater bottle, chic flic and choccie - might just do the trick!!!!

Poor girlie... I hope she feels better.
Emilia xxx

Thanks for all the advise girls. I knew you'd come through!!

She was much better Saturday thankfully. She was actually a bit better Friday night and asked if she could stay at my in-laws so we could go out for Paddy's Day! :D She had a 2 hours bath while she was there so I think that helped. I'm going to book her a doctors appointment though, so hopefully she won't have to go through this again.

i was put on the pill at 13 for period pains and an irregular bleeding cycle. It worked wonders for me but i dont think its a good idea going on the pill so you young it may incourrage her to be sexualy active too young. A good lie down with a hot water bottle some pain killers and a couple chocky bars she will be fine. Hope they ease off soon.

Being on the pill so young didn't encourage me to be sexually active too soon.

Glad she is better now Tankett, it's rotten being a female!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back