Any advice for a toddler that constantly wants sweets and chocolate?

Corrinne37

Reaction score
Its wearing me down as all my little boy (2 1/2) wants is chocolate or sweets.

As soon as he wakes , all day , until he goes to bed!

He even asks 'please may I have mummy' now!! 'pleeeeeaaaaassssse! ' 'pleeeeaaasssse may I have'

So I get in a constant debate with him,if you eat your porridge all you can have a little bit, if you eat this fruit first.

So he is still having bits of choc throughout the day.... and I know this is not good for his teeth and I feel like a bad mum.

Im tempted to just not keep anything in the house as this begging and wanting is wearing me out!!

I dont know if this is my fault as when we go shopping and stuff he is such a pain in the bum,whining to get down and run around etc, that I give him sweets as that is the only way he will stay and sit in the buggy.

Is this just me or does anyone else have this problem. :wall2:
Any advice please!!!

xxxxx

i would introduce u walking to the shop once a week to get him a treat if he is good all week or thats could be eventual plan u could try letting him have some once a day after his tea if he behaves himself x

What i do with mine is i get an alternative like a packet of dried strawberries or raisins that are coated in yoghurt i forget what they called now but most supermarkets do them they'll be in the bakeing bit. They look and taste like sweets but there not it workd with mine (but not all the time lol) dont think your a bad mum cos your child want sweets hun x

Have them as a treat! My daughter went through a phase of just wanting chocolate and I'd give in and give them to her for an easy life.
Set a day for them and let him have fruit like strawberries and other sweet fruit whenever he asks for sweets x.

i would simply go cold turkey!, accept and deal with the tantrums that come with it and only allow him to have the sweets once per week - great idea as the poster above said, make it a special thing that you walk to the shop together. It is going to be tough as he is used to you giving them but at the end of the day its about his health and behaviour - sugar rushes even cause me mischief.

in terms of shopping why not draw him a shopping list of pictures so that he can be your very special helper... he has to identify the item from the picture, find it in the aisle and then put it in the trolley... he gets lots of praise and cuddles for doing well, is entertained and mummy gets the shopping done without too much stress!

I had this with my boy...so we made a chart stuck it up and I showed him the days as they went along. Friday is 'treat' day...so we walk to shops and he gets to choose :) worked fine and also is good to use if he is misbehaving he losing his friday treat x

I've not had this problem, I didn't let my 1st LO have any sweets of chocolate until she was around 3/4 (coz I knew it would cause similar probs to you & obvs for health reasons)

I'd say it would be a good idea to put a stop to the habit before your LO gets any older as it will only get worse. In my 1st LO's nursery & primary school they aren't allowed any sweet things or juice at all, not even with lunch or play-piece & I know some mums who have allowed their kids unhealthy things have found this difficult.

Find something your LO enjoys just as much. I used to buy grapes & put them in a sandwich bag for LO - also done the same with cut up apple or orange - makes it that wee bit more exciting for them!!

:)

Thanks ladies for all your great ideas.
i will def make a plan and implement them!

Today i was very strong - he ran off from twice from when i was trying to put him in the car.
Just ran off down the road, it was so scary, didnt come when i called him, and ran further when i chased him.
So TWICE thought it was a little game! I said to him before he ran if you dont come back now - you will not have any choc or sweets today.
So thats it and he hasnt - he has cried and whinged and said sorry, buy ive said how it is too late and he needs to listen to me - or there will be NO treats.

ahhh its so hard this parenting game!!

It is hard and heartbreaking when they get upset but it wont take long befor ehe gets the message you just gotta be strong hun xxx

yes it felt good to do it, and im sticking to it! kind of easier as i had a reason to too ! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back