• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

animals sense it?

inky

Reaction score
Does anyone here with animals think they can sense them being pregnant? None of my dogs are being any different but my neighbours dog, who is usually very friendly and loves having a fuss off me, turned and properly bit me on the arm today, he snarled first so I was able to move my arm before he really got his teeth round it but my neighbour ended up walloping the dog round the head to get him to let go of my coat sleeve, and he was snarling and growling the whole time.

So unlike him! He did actually graze my arm through my coat, you know when you get a really bad pinch and the skin bleeds underneath but doesn't break? Well it's done that, and there's a lump underneath so I know I'll have an angry bruise tomorrow as well. I didn't want to cause a fuss with the neighbour (who was absolutely horrified) so quickly made my excuses and left while he was still telling the dog off....

Anyway I then had my lunch at a nearby pond and two swans came up (not unusual, I give them crumbs) but this time they weren't interested in the food, they just hissed at me and then puffed all their feathers up. Sharp exit time!

Then, I got home and one my cats actually growled at me. She sounded like an angry chihuahua! Never growled at me before and I didn't even do anything.

So, today I've been bitten by a dog, hissed at by 2 swans and growled at by a cat. Coincidence or pregnant vibes?! Just interested if anyone else had found anything similar!

i've not had any animals do that to me!!
I have 2 cats who don't normally bother with me but one in particular has become very clingy to me. He even waits outside the door while i have a shower or go the loo sometimes :shock:

I thought they could sense me being pregnant but could all be a coincidence or maybe ive become nicer to them :eh:

Aww bless ya im sure that pets can sense people being pregnant, when i was baby sitting my sisters dog doesnt usually come near me unless i have food but that night he layed on me next to my bump was well suprised but i was wondering if he can sense me being pregnant although me own dog i dont think she can sense anything unless another dog has been near me an ends up tryin to smell mine or peoples bums :O lol.
sorry to hear that the pets are not being nice to you :( at some point they might want to protect little bump i dunno how though lol. id sling ya cat outside an say u aint dun owt wrong lol, joking but u dont want cat scratching at you realy. x

it's more the neighbours dog that's bothered me, I could feel he really meant it if you know what I mean? He bit down HARD and if I hadn't moved my arm in time he would have done an awful lot more damage, and if my neighbour hadn't hit him so hard I doubt he would have let go!! Have already made a mental note to make sure LO goes nowhere near that dog...a shame because he's always been lovely in the past, but any dog that can turn like that just isn't worth getting close to :(

God what a day you've had!! That is strange eh? X

Aw what a day! Poor you!!! Any animal has the possibility to change without warning, I was bitten by a dog we'd had for years who'd always been friendly and calm tempered before when I was younger. I think animals can tell. My cat is usually sooooooo affectionate and cuddly but in first few weeks of my pregnancy he avoided me at all costs. Then last week he suddenly started following me EVERYWHERE, bath, kitchen, living room, toilet etc etc. He also keeps climbing on my knee and sleeping right next to my belly!!! X

it's more the neighbours dog that's bothered me, I could feel he really meant it if you know what I mean? He bit down HARD and if I hadn't moved my arm in time he would have done an awful lot more damage, and if my neighbour hadn't hit him so hard I doubt he would have let go!! Have already made a mental note to make sure LO goes nowhere near that dog...a shame because he's always been lovely in the past, but any dog that can turn like that just isn't worth getting close to :(

On another note - and as a dog owner who ADORES her dogs - a dog biting ANYONE is NOT a good thing. I love my two, love them, and treat them like they were our kids (really, I do) but if they bit someone ...:roll:

I know it's not normal for the dog but I don't think that's because you're pregnant. The owner needs to get it checked by a vet because if it's been ok before, and suddenly aggressive, it could be in pain/have an underlying condition.

Or it could just be turning nasty - doesn't happen often without a reason - but it could be. Over-protective of the neighbour perhaps?

yeah weve been told with our dog or with any dog to if people ask us do dogs bite then you cannot say No it wont bite you because one day if it did bite a child or someone then we'd be in trouble so its up to people wether to touch a dog or the dog shud stay put or something.
so if kids come up to our dog we say we cannot say our dog wont bite you incase it might, it is worrying for any child or person thats prob why ppl dont like dogs much but i think all can be said with diff type pets i dunno. if its worrying for you hun cant u seem to get the dog done without it having to be put down? or sumit i dunno wat else to suggest hun lolx

my parents dog jumped up at me when I got home this weekend and licked/nipped at my boob. Not hard at all, but REALLY wierd for her! I wondered whether our scent changes and she could smell breastmilk? or whether she was just really excited to see me and was trying to kiss my face but missed??

Oh god what an awful day inky =|!! I think animals can definitely sense it, my Mr's dog has been the funniest, in fact he was what made his Dad guess I was pregnant!! Whenever I go around to the house he hardly leaves my side, but when he is in another room, he will pop to wherever I am, lick me on the cheek, look me up and down (as if he's checking something) and wonder out again :eh:

yeah weve been told with our dog or with any dog to if people ask us do dogs bite then you cannot say No it wont bite you because one day if it did bite a child or someone then we'd be in trouble so its up to people wether to touch a dog or the dog shud stay put or something.
so if kids come up to our dog we say we cannot say our dog wont bite you incase it might, it is worrying for any child or person thats prob why ppl dont like dogs much but i think all can be said with diff type pets i dunno. if its worrying for you hun cant u seem to get the dog done without it having to be put down? or sumit i dunno wat else to suggest hun lolx

Our dogs don't bite. They don't. They have no history of it so I am happy to say that they don't bite. They slobber like hell, though...

The rule of thumb is - the law, really - that a dog is allowed a 2-bite rule (as long as it's not savaging someone the first time) and is normally reported to the dog warden in the area who has to make sure the dog is being looked after properly and isn't a danger to others. It's a difficult one and I'd hate to be in the owner's position, to be honest, but would report a dog for unprovoked biting, I'm afraid. Or get the owner to.

blimey what a funny day you had Inky!

Me and my OH were talking about this the other day as my cat always sits on the sofa with me and then when I got preganant I was really put out as she only sat with my OH! He thought it was really funny.

I had a MC last week, and the Cat is now back with me !! We must give off a different scent when our Preg hormones are up?

Very strange

None of our dogs bite either, I guess I just took it for granted that all well-looked after dogs were the same! This dog is well looked after, but is only young so maybe it's something to do with that, he's only about 18 months old.

I don't think he was being overprotective of his owner either, luckily my neighbour had him on a lead as he was in the lane but he was pulling and jumping and barking to get at me (he always does that so nothing unusual there) but his tail was wagging and he was acting like he just wanted to say hello as normal. It was only when I put my hand down to stroke him that he turned and attacked instead.

I'm not going to take it any further, the relationship with the neighbour has always been strained to say the least, and has only really got any better over the last couple of years or so, and he was absolutely horrified, and so apologetic, he said billy (the dog) had never done that before and I am inclined to believe him. He's a Border Collie, so not a generally aggressive breed either. I definitely won't be stroking him again though, and I definitely won't be letting my dogs say hi to him again either. As for the baby, it won't even know the dog exists if I get my way!

Oh dear, that sounds like a stressful day!! I've only just become a dog owner as I moved in with my fiance, he's had Bru, a collie for 5 years. I have been really nervous of dogs and still don't entirely trust them, although am quite happily bitten and beakily abused by my parrot! Bru has definately sensed a change and now tends to be in some sort of bodily contact with me if I'm sitting in the same room.
Dogs are very sensitive, they must know when there's a change, and I suppose it really confuses them sometimes, like when I got my haircut, wow was I shouted at until she realised it was still me. I think you're wise to be cautious, how odd though! Hope you heal quickly!!

blimey what a funny day you had Inky!

Me and my OH were talking about this the other day as my cat always sits on the sofa with me and then when I got preganant I was really put out as she only sat with my OH! He thought it was really funny.

I had a MC last week, and the Cat is now back with me !! We must give off a different scent when our Preg hormones are up?

Very strange

One of my cats is behaving differently, the two female cats are same as usual but Inzo, the male cat, is very protective of me, he gets inbetween me and OH if we having a cuddle on the sofa, and always has one eye on me at all times, be it in the kitchen, outside, even in the bath or on the toilet, he's there watching!

Last edited:
my brothers dog is a border collie an is over protective with my brother so if someone goes to move towards my brother in threatening behaviour or if he feels scared he barks at the other person not the owner think the dogs only 2 lol.
my brother only needs to look side to side an the dog thinks something is up an he barks. lol. scary but clever for a dog x

What an interesting thread - i have two cats and MIL has a dog that we see regularly but i can't say they are acting any differently. Hope your bite heals quickly and you don't have any other animal incidents - i would suggest staying away from the zoo!!!

haha my Dr Dolittle days are over for now!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back