Am i still entiltled to maternitypay from my employer?

elmo

Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help. I have been signed off work since the start of november due to severe morning sickness which i am still suffering from. A couple of times i have felt that i could go back to work but i lost my last baby Isla at 27 weeks due to developing severe pre-eclampsia. I am being admitted to hospital at around 24 weeks because of my history and feel that i'm not going to make it back to work before then. I feel bad as i only started my job in september but at the end of the my baby and my health come first. Will i still be entitled to maternity pay even though i've been on sick pay (SMP) for so long? I am currently 16 weeks pregnant. Thanks, Emma. x

hi im sure you have to be working for your employer for 26 weeks before your entitled to maternity pay, but not certain. you may be entitled to some kind of maternity pay off the goverment but not sure they will pay you through your work. I think you should maybe not go back to work if you can afford to stay off though. i dont know whether i'd like to take the risk considering what you went through last time. x

I know that if i go back to work i will be entitled to maternity pay as i started there before i fell pregnant, i make it just by a few days though! I'm not getting that much less being on sick pay as i only work part time but in the long run it would be good to have my maternity pay but am just worried as i know if i go back now i'm going to be off sick again soon as i'm going into hospital. x

Natalie is correct, you will only qualify for maternity pay from your employer if you have worked there for 26 weeks AND this 26 weeks needs to be BEFORE the 15th week before your baby is due.

If you started in September, will you have worked there for at least 26 weeks by the time you are 25 weeks pregnant? :think:

Yes i will have worked there for 26 before my due date which is 22nd june 2007 but my worry is that i have been off sick for some timed uring my pregnancy. x

Oh I see..im with you now hun! Do excuse me im a bit fuzzy headed at the mo :rotfl:

I dont think it matters if your off sick or not, I was off sick from about week 18 of my pregnancy and still got my maternity allowance (government paid) and im sure its the same with SMP.

If you want to check it out more, id go to your local CAB they will give you the low down on what your entitled to for sure.

they have to pay you maternity allowence whether you are sick or not. as long as you have been there for long enough- which you have.
lisa xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back