Am I obliged to tell them I'm pregnant?

michelles1985

Reaction score
Hi, I'm quite new to the forum and hence I'm only one month pregnant. I am currently in a temporary job and am being paid by an agency but the company have told me to apply for a permanent position because of how quick I have picked up the role. However, I've only recently found out that I'm pregnant and if I apply for the permanent position, I don't know if I'm obliged to tell them that I'm pregnant with me only being 1 month gone because if I do, I'm sure they won't take me on.

I have spoken to a girl at work who is 20 weeks pregnant and dhe says I'm not obliged to tell then until I'm 16 weeks gone because of them discriminating against me because I'm pregnant.

Any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks in advance

x

I'm sure there are other ladies here who can advise with authority but my thought is you aren't obliged to tell them at this stage.

With a permanent employer you need to tell them before 25 weeks pregnant. So I'm pretty sure at your early stage and at an interview you don't have to divulge it.

Congratulations on your pregnancy by the way and good luck with the job!

:hug:

michelles1985 said:
I have spoken to a girl at work who is 20 weeks pregnant and dhe says I'm not obliged to tell then until I'm 16 weeks gone because of them discriminating against me because I'm pregnant.

Any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks in advance

x

Hi they cant discriminate because your pregnant huni,

you dont have to tel your employer until you are good and ready, most ppl dio this when they have reached the 12 weeks mark! I would go for the job and then tell them, if you find they sack you or reduce your hours im sure there is something you can do about it..

Good luck!

I am not sure if it is the same everywhere but I work for the NHS and there you have to tell your employer by 20 weeks. Personally I wouldn't tell them until you have got the job as for all they know you could have only just found out and then they can't sack you because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back