Am I Entitled to anything else?! :(

HideiLu

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I'll try and keep this short. Basically worked out my income today and I just don't know how I'll survive and have started looking at having to move to another town to save money (I don't drive or have any loans etc to pay, so just rent and household bills, food, baby stuff etc)

As far as I'm aware I should be getting;

£117 Mat Allowance
£18 per week Child Benefit
£21 per week tax credits (waiting to have this one confirmed)

So I get around £676 a month. I have worked full time and paid taxes since leaving school 10 years ago.

Apart from Mat Grant, is there anything else I'm entitled to?

I still live with OH, but he just pays for his half straight down the line, so doesn't count towards my income.

Anything you may be entitled to is worked out on 'household' income, im sure you know this though.

As far as I know, no, you are claiming all you can. What you get is pertty much exactly what I get.. and its not alot when you have a mtg to pay and bills etc.

your tax credits seem very low to me
if you oh is working im sure he can claim working tax credits for you both
that may help a little hubby was getting £260 a week take home and £30 odd a week in wtc
we also got £60 a week child tax credits
xx
E.T.A also do check if you can claim any housing benifit now you have a baby as even a small amount will help towards your rent

:hug: Definitely look into if you can get council tax and housing benefit even if its just a small amount it will help you. They will unfortunately go by how much your OH is getting as well though because your living together. Its like Anthony can't get job seekers allowance because I work over 16hours. Its all worth a try though especially if your struggling, things are really tight at the moment :hug:

Thanks ladies. Council said previously we won't get discount :( And ta credit is worked out on OHs income so I won't get anymore.

Winds me up as I don't see a penny of his earnings, yet it effects mine! But can understand why they do it like that. Best get him a kennel for him to live on the balcony instead! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Are you thinking of going back to work in the future? Does your OH know how much childcare costs? I think you should arrange with you OH that he gives you some childcare money (money for you that is, for looking after baby). If you are not going back to work you definitely should sort out that he gives you some money! OH used to get £1400 a month after tax so he was going to be giving me £300 a month while on SMP as that averaged out our income and then £100 a month once I go back as I will be working part time and again that £100 averages out our earnings. Unfortunately he was laid off 3 months ago :wall:

Gee I wish OH was that generous!! :lol: I tried to have a chat with him last night but didn't get any offer like that, just kept saying he can't pay for me to live!

But I will bring up the point that if we can't come to a conclusion, I will have to work :( and it will just end up costing him that way instead :twisted: :)

If it were me in your situation I'd use this:
https://secureonline.dwp.gov.uk/csa/v2/ ... enance.asp
to work out how much he would have tp pay if we weren't living in the same house and demand that from him :lol: It comes to £52 a week for me :D
Alternatively, nurseries round here cost £35 a day so that's £175 a week :D

Seriously though, you aren't doing nothing all day, you are looking after the child that you made together! Yes he bloody well can pay for you to live! You're a family unit and are working as a team - one looking after baby, one earning money. If he won't, get a part time job for a couple of days a week. Explain that as parents you will have joint responsibility at the weekends and 2 and a half days of childcare each during the week. If he is unwilling to enable you financially to stay at home and look after his child on his days then he will have too find a nursery. So that will set him back at least £350 a month. He needs to get back in the real world and be less of a self-centred selfish twat.

I think thats probably all you are entitled to (im in the same boat). If i threw my OH out i'd be far better off. Its a shame thers isnt more help out there for couples.

I dont understand this whole your OH only paying half rubbish though. You are a couple and should be working this out as a couple. All the household bills come out of my account so my OH is paying most of his wages into my account and i'm sorting it all out (hes also useless with money)

Id have a serious chat with him.

Claire x

kalia said:
Seriously though, you aren't doing nothing all day, you are looking after the child that you made together! Yes he bloody well can pay for you to live! You're a family unit and are working as a team - one looking after baby, one earning money. If he won't, get a part time job for a couple of days a week. Explain that as parents you will have joint responsibility at the weekends and 2 and a half days of childcare each during the week. If he is unwilling to enable you financially to stay at home and look after his child on his days then he will have too find a nursery. So that will set him back at least £350 a month. He needs to get back in the real world and be less of a self-centred selfish tw*t.

I have to totally agree with this! im shocked that he can say such a thing! needs a good talking too if you ask me, i still only get around the same as i was gettin on maternity leave as i returned to work part time, but we just both pay what we can between us when we can, if ive not enough money to have my hair done (very rare occasion mite i add now!) my OH will pay for it, and so he should, i gave up my Full time wage to bring up OUR baby, don't get me wrong i love being a mummy but fair is fair.

HideiLu said:
Gee I wish OH was that generous!! :lol: I tried to have a chat with him last night but didn't get any offer like that, just kept saying he can't pay for me to live!

His attitude stinks tbh - you're at home looking after his child and he needs to appreciate that. Would he rather pay for a stranger to look after his son than pay a bit more of your share while you aren't working?

Well he's now agreed to pay for the monthly shop, including milk and nappies. I agreed to this on the terms he doesn't rub in the fact that he's doing it as if I owe him anything! :talkhand: Also agreed to pay towards the net and phone line (which was just mine til now, but he uses it too)

Fingers crossed that will ease things and will mean we can afford the move we need and stay in Brighton :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back