Almost 11 months old and still not sleeping through :(

Dinski

Reaction score
My little boy is almost 11 months old and still waking up in the night. We have tried everything and he did start to sleep through but now he is waking up at about 3 or 4am every night and we are soooooo tired. Almost a years' worth of bad sleep. When is this likely to end? I've heard of 3 and 4 year olds still waking in the night and by this time we are hoping to have another baby. If he is still sleeping badly then I don't know how we will cope and all this lack of sleep has made me quite depressed. Someone please tell me it will get better soon...

alice still wakes, i get up, give her a hug and pop her dum back in her mouth and she is soon back of. sometimes she wakes again about 5 ish, and if she does, im a bit naughty and pop her in with us. If i try and put her back down, she wakes up and no one gets anymore sleep.

but, on the odd occasion she doesn't sleep through, i have a really bad nights sleep! i lay there waiting for her to wake :wall:

i don't have any advice, but your not alone hun. :hug: :hug:

Hi :wave:
I can't give you any advice as LO is only 6 months, but she is nowhere near sleeping through. One night last week she slept through for no reason I can find, and in the morning I felt great and could function properly. Realised how hard it actually is every day when nights are always broken. Sending loads of :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

oh, the reason i think alice wakes is that she is still in the same room as us.

i recon if she had her own room, she would sleep through....

Aimee still hardly ever sleeps right through and she's 27 months now. She has always been an awful sleeper. Up to 12 month old she would wake about 10 times a night and it was a total nightmare. We did controlled crying on her and we had a massive improvement. She now only wakes about once or twice a night and probably sleeps through twice a week. A lot better than she was doing :)

:hug: :hug:
i thought millie would never sleep thru but luckily recently she's improved loads. hope things improve for u soon :hug:

:hug: to you xxx

Stanley goes through phases. He has slept through for months on end before now, but for the past couple of weeks is waking regularly. He is often up for 4/5 hours during the night (post midnight :bored: )

He is nearly 19 months. I think as mum to a newborn you presume all this will be over after a couple of months, and sympathy from others runs out when you have a toddler. OH fell asleep in a work meeting and got told off, and sometimes I'm a wreck at work.

Sorry I can't be the bearer of good news! I just focus on the positives; Stanley eats well, mixes well and is cute as a button. I've physically aged about 5 years in the last 2 but accept it as par for the course!

Thanks mummies for all your replies :hug: :hug: :hug:

I actually got a good nights' sleep last night as my dh did the night/early morning shift YAY! Its nice to remember what sleep is. :D

when you say he doesnt sleep through is he waking for milk still or do he wake just for ''fun''. Also how long is he awake etc? Is he in your room?

Oran doesnt sleep through either by the way - he used to wake up for an hour a time about 3 times a night and needed cuddling to get back off, he stopped his milk about 6-7 months and we thought he would start sleeping through, no such luck. We did the controlled crying also and it helped massivly in the sense that when he wakes up now instead of being awake for ages or cuddling back to sleep its a case of popping dummy in and a stoke on the back and he usually goes back off (unless he is teething :shock: ). oran is also in our room and we think this is why he wakes up, once he is in his own room when we have one, it will be a bad few weeks getting him used to it but hopefully then he will sleep through!! Fingers crossed

As minx said though I have an excellent eater, a happy smiley talkey baby, who is happy with everyone so I put up with the bad nights lol

jennywren said:
when you say he doesnt sleep through is he waking for milk still or do he wake just for ''fun''. Also how long is he awake etc? Is he in your room?

Oran doesnt sleep through either by the way - he used to wake up for an hour a time about 3 times a night and needed cuddling to get back off, he stopped his milk about 6-7 months and we thought he would start sleeping through, no such luck. We did the controlled crying also and it helped massivly in the sense that when he wakes up now instead of being awake for ages or cuddling back to sleep its a case of popping dummy in and a stoke on the back and he usually goes back off (unless he is teething :shock: ). oran is also in our room and we think this is why he wakes up, once he is in his own room when we have one, it will be a bad few weeks getting him used to it but hopefully then he will sleep through!! Fingers crossed

As minx said though I have an excellent eater, a happy smiley talkey baby, who is happy with everyone so I put up with the bad nights lol

Jenny Wren, he wakes normally once or twice a night and won't go back to sleep until he's had a milky.

We have tried giving him water etc but he just cries for hours and is really stubborn. He is in his own room, has been from about 4 months old. He did start to sleep through 6.30pm-6.30am for a few days a week a couple of months ago but has been waking up every night for the past few weeks, back to his old routine.

We have tried EVERYTHING, waking him for a late milky, giving him more food, giving him it all later, blackout blinds, soothing music, water, controlled crying but he still wakes up . He doesn't play, he just wakes up crying and will not be soothed unless he has a milky.

Apart from the waking up thing (which is more a bother for me and dad than him) he is a lovely, happy, well fed child. It's just exhausting for me and DH.

Dinski said:
jennywren said:

We have tried giving him water etc but he just cries for hours and is really stubborn. He is in his own room, has been from about 4 months old. He did start to sleep through 6.30pm-6.30am for a few days a week a couple of months ago but has been waking up every night for the past few weeks, back to his old routine.

We have tried EVERYTHING, waking him for a late milky, giving him more food, giving him it all later, blackout blinds, soothing music, water, controlled crying but he still wakes up . He doesn't play, he just wakes up crying and will not be soothed unless he has a milky.

quote]

the above sounds exactly like my hannah she still has to have 2 full bottles a night, and ive tried everything you have done. its not 'that' bad tho as i can just give it toher and she feeds herself and settles self, so it only takes a sleepy minute.

Dinski said:
It's just exhausting for me and DH.

lol I know that feeling so :hug: to you.

Have you tried giving less milk gradually? Like even by 1/2 oz increments so if he is drinking 7 give 6.5 for a week or even 2 weeks, then 6, then 5.5 etc etc or even do more water to milk and change it that way so put a bit extra water in for a few weeks, then bit more, then so its half and half, so its eventually mostly water.....this is based on if you are formula feeding though as I don't know if you are or BF sorry - just a thought to try thats all hun.

The other thing I wanted to ask is could he be teething - Oran goes though periods of about a week of sleeping better then it all goes to hell for about 2-3 weeks and its usually while a tooth is growing through? Just thinking this could be why he started sleeping through a bit but has now gone bad again?

Oran has decided his normal waking up time is going to me 5.30am......silly boy.

jennywren said:
Dinski said:
It's just exhausting for me and DH.

lol I know that feeling so :hug: to you.

Have you tried giving less milk gradually? Like even by 1/2 oz increments so if he is drinking 7 give 6.5 for a week or even 2 weeks, then 6, then 5.5 etc etc or even do more water to milk and change it that way so put a bit extra water in for a few weeks, then bit more, then so its half and half, so its eventually mostly water.....this is based on if you are formula feeding though as I don't know if you are or BF sorry - just a thought to try thats all hun.

The other thing I wanted to ask is could he be teething - Oran goes though periods of about a week of sleeping better then it all goes to hell for about 2-3 weeks and its usually while a tooth is growing through? Just thinking this could be why he started sleeping through a bit but has now gone bad again?

Oran has decided his normal waking up time is going to me 5.30am......silly boy.

Thanks for your reply Jennywren. :hug:

He is bottlefed. We have tried giving him a very reduced formula with more water but he just ends up realising its mostly water and cries until he gets a proper milky :roll:

Its quite likely he is teething as he has quite red cheeks and keeps biting on things. He already has 6 teeth which he has had since 5 months old so the rest of his teeth are due to pop out. He won't let me look into his mouth though and clamps his jaws shut whenever I try. My sister had a little girl one week before me and she has been sleeping through from about 6 weeks consistenly, I am so jealous grrrr :evil:

Poor wee fella!

Stanley slept through by definition last night. By that I mean one solid sleep with no breaks. From 9pm until..................4.30am :bored:

Good job our boys are so gorgeous eh? I was fuming this morning at Stanley screaming 'bottle' but when I go in he gives me a big smile and my heart melts :lol:

Dinski said:
. My sister had a little girl one week before me and she has been sleeping through from about 6 weeks consistenly, I am so jealous grrrr :evil:

LOL I know OH's sister has 2 one about 1 year and a bit older and the other 3 months and they BOTH slept through from 4 and 6 weeks.........whats that all about???

I have news though, oran slept through last night from 8pm till 5.20am so :dance: :dance: although 5.20am is to early for me cause Im on 12 hour days and IM shatterd all ready lol. Dont know if its because he was at his nannas all day and his older cousin was there and played with him all day so much that he only had about an hour to hour and half sleep and he usually has 2-3 hours at home - dont know if that had anything to do with it though.

I know you have tried the more water thing, have you tried the reducing by 1/2 and oz every week or so? MIght be worth a go, if it doesnt work, no loss, at least you know you tried!!

LOL at stanley shouting Bottle - mr Demanding hey. Oran woke up and sat there chanting the wort cat with out the a ha ha - since he learnt it last night - men :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back