alcohol and pregnancy

babydoll1981

Reaction score
hi im wondering if anyone can advise me.I have just found out i am pregnant but have been drinking a glass of wine every night is it safe to do so i am really confused on what is safe.:eh:

I was told only 1 unit a week maximum by my mw, none is best though. Alcohol is not good for baby and not good as your body changes cos your balance does too. Plus alcohol and hormones could make for an almighty explosion lol. A girl i know was drunk through most of her pregnancy and had baby at 7 months cos she got drunk and fell over.

Nearly everyone had a drink before they found out (I did).....it's the stopping afterwards that counts hun

Congratulations xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Congratulations hun, but I agree with babybrain it's not safe to carry on drinking every night during pregnancy. Now that u know u are pregnant u should cut it out or down drastically. Wishing u all the best xx

thanks for the advice iv read so many different on the internet i dont know what to believe. Thought id ask some other mums to be.

as babybrain says they say dion't have more than the equivalent of a small glass of wine a week. to be honest i used to have a drink every other night but since becoming pregnant i've had 2 small glasses and didn';t really enjoy them (probably cos i knew i couldn't have more!!)

When you book in with a midwife you will get a fab book that tells you all the do's and don'ts. The main thing is to stop drinking, get on folic acid tablets asap and get to see your gp who should run through the foods you need to avoid.

Is this for first? This one is for me and I didn't have a clue lol til I came here. Everyone is so friendly and there's no question too big or too small to ask in here xxxxxxxxxx

as babybrain says they say dion't have more than the equivalent of a small glass of wine a week. to be honest i used to have a drink every other night but since becoming pregnant i've had 2 small glasses and didn';t really enjoy them (probably cos i knew i couldn't have more!!)

thats probably right because i was the same i liked to have a drink in the evening but now i cant have any. but thats no price to pay for a healthy baby it will probably take a bit of getting used to though

I work supporting people with alcohol problems so I know how hard it can be to quit the thing you love. However, through my work I've also done training on feotal alcohol syndrome, I'm not for one second suggesting your little bean is at risk of this from the small amount you had been drinking, but as soon as I knew I might be preggers I quit completely cos no one would ever want there child born with the irreversible symptoms of FAS. It's just too big a risk. A healthy non-alcoholic 9 months is the best for baby and mammy!!

I don't think you an worry too much about things you did befrore you knew you were pregnant. I had a few glasses of wine before I found out I was pregnant, but have had nothing since

I was horribly drunk a week before I found out about baby :) the midwife reassured me and said that as I don't drink that often it should be ok, since we found out I haven't touched a drop which when hubby is drinking in a restaurant is torture, that's normally when we would have a drink.

My downfall is caffeine, I used to drink at least 12 - 13 cups of tea a day and I have had to cut down to 3 and the rest is decaf it's a nightmare lol.....

Hi, congrats xx

I have no idea what alcohol level is safe during pregnancy, but I would just say don't drink at all is the easiest way to keep baby safe!

xxx

My doctor said the occasional glass of wine is fine (a small glass once a week) but to be honest I'm not drinking a thing - cannot bear the thought of alcohol right now! Perhaps it's my body helping me do the right thing!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back