alcohol in pregnancy

hayley1980

Reaction score
hi im hayley im new to this forum and i was just wondering if anyone is craving alcohol at the mo! its driving me insane its all i think bout sometimes! i know they say 1 or 2 a week is ok but i dont know if i shud go for it or not! what do u all reckon? and has anyone carried on drinking thru out pregnancy not heavily jus the odd tipple here n there! BTW im dreadin christmas hahaha

I have had a couple of drinks but not got drunk. Everything in moderation as they say! I have found that as i have got further along i have gone off it anyway so you will just have to wait and see!

how far along are you? Everything ok so far?

im 10 wks now and im very well thanks i havent got much symptoms only sore boobs! my mind is kinda sayin wait til scan to see if everything is ok with baby b4 i have the odd drink as i was a drinker b4 i found out but not a binge drinker! god i sound obsessed! shud i have a scan at 12 wks coz alot of women on this forum have had scans in their 12th wk?

Hi Hayley,

I have just return from my holiday and I did have the odd tipple as I too craved alcohol.

I did have about 6 drinks in a two week period consititing of a few shandys and few spitzers what I did do though was ask them not half and half it but to do 1 3rd alcohol and 2 3rds mixer it watered it down quite a bit and give me enough to take the craving away.

Again everything in modiration and i did space this out and would only have 1 an evening. say 2/3 times a week

I've gone off the stuff! the thought of it just doesn't appeal at all.

I have never been a beer drinker in my entire life, until I hit the 10 week mark. I couldn't resist the taste of Amstel. As a result, I think over 3 weeks, I had a beer a week. I tried low alcohol, but it wasn't the same. It is advised to stay clear of alcohol during your pregnancy, but I regard myself as a sensible and responsible person and very aware of the damage any type of indulgence can cause. I don't think I have done my baby any harm - although it did make me feel a bit guilty afterwards.
Emilia xx

I'm with ToriElla... just the thought of alcohol makes me want to huey (again).

Think those of you having the occasional beer or spritzer are doing the right thing, but I'm actually find the explaining why I'm not drinking really hard !!!

It's not like I used to permanently have a drink in my hand, but if out with work / having dinner with family I would never be the one sipping orange juice, much more at home with a nice glass of red wine...

I'm not ready to share our news yet, still getting used to things in my head and also still too early for me really... so let me know what other excuses I can come up with, the post honeymoon de-tox and 'I've got a headache' are running rather thing now !!!

hya ali how far along are you now hun? xxxx

nice one hope your feeling well hun xxxx

Hi Hayley

I would say I was a regular drinker before I got pregnant - in that I'd probably have a glass or two of wine at least twice a week.

Unfortunately I had a bit of a heavy night the night before I found out I was pregnant, and guilt has prevented me from drinking ever since! But I have found it hard I must admit - especially as we had 5 weddings and an evening wedding reception to attend this year (including 2 hen nights)!!

As I'll be hopefully breastfeeding, I'll be having a sober Christmas just like you!! But it doesn't bother me that much any more. The medical profession seems to change it's mind daily as to whether it's safe to drink at all during pregnancy, so it's up to individuals to decide what to do.

Congratulations on your BFP & lots of luck with your pregnancy

LBxx

I have been having one unit once a fortnight, and the gp said it was fine to do that.

I would probably have one unit a week but the DH has gone all strict on me and forbidden it :D

lol well thanks for ya advice! my mum said she drank thru out her pregnancies n me n my sis were fine! 30 yrs ago it wasnt a taboo but now u cant eat anything when ya pregnant without there bein a risk!

I was craving alcohol from weeks 4-6, and was having a glass of wine a few times a week, but now the thought of it would make me heave. However I'm looking forward to feeling better later in pregnancy and having the odd glass of wine/Baileys again.

I think I craved it at the start because it was such big news that I didn't know what to think and wanted to drink to calm me down a bit.

Hi Ladies

I used to enjoy my wine and vodka - especially at the weekend - but the thought of it now makes me feel sick. I haven't had any alcohol now for 10 weeks, DH and I went to the pub for tea last night and I had 2 Britvik 55, orange flavour, another couple who we are really friendly with came in and looked at me strangely, as I would normally have had a large chardonnay in my hand!!! I had the perfect excuse cos DH is on crutches at the mo, so I made out that I had to drive us cos he would have struggled to walk. They were also talking about all the meals / nights out we will be having over christmas (we tend to go out with 4 other couples alot) I just smiled and agreed. We haven't told them our special news yet, want to wait till at least the 12 week mark before we tell people, although I am dying to tell everyone :) :)

As I said before, orange is the drink for me at the minute, fresh tropicana orange, Capri Sun, orange flavour, tango - can't get enough of it!!!!!!!!

Xxxx

I drank a lot whilst TTC but as soon as I found out I was PG I daren't touch a drop until about 14 weeks. Now the most I'll have is a shandy or 2, once or twice a week, the most I have had was probably last night when I had 4 halves of shandy and a small red wine. It's probably only about 2 units (which is ok as I'm not planning any more this week) but I still felt guilty :oops:

Hey Kim

How are you? Not heard from you in a while!

How's your PG been, I hope that you haven't suffered much. I still can't believe that i got my BFP - so exciting!!!

Xxx

Hayley I was the same as you! Before being Pg I was a regular drinker and when I found out I was pregnant I really missed it, I had been so used to getting home from work having dinner and a couple of glasses of white wine and I would be set up for the night! I didnt know what to do when I realised I couldnt do that anymore. (see my earlier posts!!!)

Its been weird though cos at around 7-8 weeks I just stopped and didnt have one for say, 6 weeks and when I did it tasted foul, and now its an effort to even have half a glass. I had my scan on friday and I bought a little mini bottle of asti to have to celebrate(its only one glass!!!) but could I drink it? nah - it ended up going down the sink.

I also stopped smoking though so I think that has a lot to do with it as well.

These days I prefer pineaple juice or orange juice - a few weeks ago I went mad on peppermint cordial and lemondade - that craving has stopped now thank goodness I was worried about rotting my teeth!

You will probably find that you just go off it anyway.

Since finding out pregnant at 3 1/2 weeks have not had a drink and had cut down dramatically while ttc. However after 12 week scan (my ticker is wrong I am 12weeks 4 days) I had 1 glass of red wine I did feel a bit guilty afterwards but I think one in 9 weeks is not going to do any damange. Years ago people were told to drink guiness or stout for iron levels and babies were born fine. As I am a worrier I will stick to one glass every 8 weeks.

Lindsay said:
Hey Kim

How are you? Not heard from you in a while!

How's your PG been, I hope that you haven't suffered much. I still can't believe that i got my BFP - so exciting!!!

Xxx

Hi Lindsay, I'm doing great thanks, great news about your pregnancy, hopt everything goes really well for you. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back