Agghh I tasted something bad!

Pregnopaws

Reaction score
We were at the garden centre yesterday and saw what looked like lovely cherry tomato plants, so we bought one!! Earlier today DH said ooh look one is ripe lets have a taste. It was DISGUSTING! I took the tiniest nibble and it tasted like a BAD pepper. I didnt swallow any but it left a nasty taste!

After googling it we find out that it is POISONOUS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_cherry

Aggh I hope I haven't harmed the baby, though I don't feel sick or anything and I'm sure I would have had a reaction by now? I feel really silly for thinking that it was cherry tomatoes! The whole plant has now gone in the bin! I cant believe stupid spanish garden centre didnt even put a warning on it! :evil:

:shock: eek! call a doc and get urself checked 2 b on safe side hun x

am sure you'll be ok if it was just a tiny nibble. our stomachs are pretty good at bringing anything really nasty straight back up again...

you right though, they should really have a warning on that plant - i'd have probably done the same as you! :shock:

Moan to the garden centre and get your money back :evil:

I shouldn't worry too much... as long as you didn't ingest the actual fruit from the plant. Plus although it's poisonous, you need to take a lot to kill you.. just like belladona and it's still not as deadly as that poison...

"Although the toxin is poisonous, it is generally not life threatening. It may cause gastric problems, including vomiting and gastroenteritis"

The fruit has a bad taste in order to make it inedible to humans and animals and thus make sure we don't eat things that are poisonous... I think you just learnt about evolution first hand. Even Kiwi fruit is slightly poisonous, although not enough to kill a human being its why some people get a funny feeling in their mouths after they have eaten it.

You'll have the taste for a while, its your body's way of trying to remind you never to eat that fruit ever again...and so that in the future you can pass this information down to your children saying, don't eat that fruit I did once and it tasted really bad blah blah blah... the whole evolution thing.

Your stomach will filter out any traces of the minute toxins in your system, and if you are really worried you could try drinking lots of water and milk... milk to neutralise the poison, and water to flush the toxins out.

Those plant centres really should put labels on things, but they never do in Spain... :roll: :roll: Go complain and get an Hoja de Reclamaciones, and put in an offical complaint... it has to be up held...and they HAVE to give you one, or you can call the Guardia Civil.. :rotfl: seriously...

Thanks for that squig :D Im actually fine, never felt bad since tasting the horrid thing. I never actually swallowed anything anyway, it was so foul it wouldnt have gotten past the tip of my tongue!

And I don't think I'll be stopping the guardia civil. They scare me more than the plant. :wink: I've never actually spoken to them but what do they DO exactly squig?????
I've heard horror stories! They look like bunches of nazi's whizzing about in green trucks!

Pregnopaws said:
I've heard horror stories! They look like bunches of nazi's whizzing about in green trucks!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: yup thats what they be!!! I've seen the horror stories... They are basically the equivalent of the police in the UK and the polica local are glorified traffic wardens. :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back