Advice needed please! Homebirth vs. Waterbirth in CMU

moss

Reaction score
I would really appreciate as much feedback from anyone with experience of home and waterbirths because I'm so confused and just about to be at 38 weeks!

I have had my heart set on a home waterbirth and when I was told it would be possible, all of my fears about giving birth were lifted. I was stressed to no end about having to go to a hospital because it is like a factory here. It's huge, impersonal and partners get kicked out quickly. Also, we don't drive, have a carseat but no way of knowing whether it would fit in some random taxi, infection rates aren't great, bays have four women with four babies and are allowed four visitors each, the rooms are drabby and clinical, old looking... We weren't sure how to get to the hospital since we don't drive and taxi drivers are horrible to pregnant women, it's a teaching hospital and they are FAR too quick to intervene with sections, episiotomies and forceps... The list goes on and on. There is one pool for the hospital, which has over 100 births per day on average and only a couple of midwives authorised to oversee a waterbirth. So, basically no possibility of using that here (as told by the midwives working here).

I posted in third tri section why I most likely won't be having my waterbirth at home. I've written for a second opinion, but I'm sure that won't change. I'm desperate to go with my plan, but I'm not going to risk my life and home for it!

A midwife called from my team to speak to me about this. She's coming on Sunday to answer any questions I have, but it looks like my options are now either stay with homebirth without a pool, or go to the midwife led unit about 20 miles away and not have a homebirth, but have water. To be honest, I'm torn. Both home and water lifted my confidence so much I can't describe. I don't tolerate morphine or entonox at all. I've had very bad reactions to both in the past and can't risk that again. I want to be home because it's so personal and I can do anything I want. I won't have to worry about transport, either... But, I really want the water. My bath is not an option because it isn't nearly deep enough to cover me so would make little difference if any, and also my SPD makes it difficult to get in and out of now, never mind whilst in labour.

I want both SO much and feel like I can't compromise either way, but realise I will have to. I guess I just want to hear from people who have had one *or* the other and try to judge by their experiences.

Oh! This is a link to the unit I would be considering, but I can only get to the front page because for some reason the rest has been blacklisted by work! It's part of the NHS area we cover, too, so that doesn't make sense!

http://birthinangus.org.uk/index/arbroath

You've posted that your electricity and gas are about to be cut off (or was it just electricity?) so I think you should go to the midwife unit so you know you will be somewhere with heating etc.

I hadn't realised that Ninewells covered such a large area that it had 100 hospital births a day! I would have thought that would make them less likely to intervene as they wouldn't have the operating space :think:

Hi Kalia, they are threatening to switch off the electricity, but it wouldn't be as soon as this... Ninewells has an extremely high intervention rate. It's a huge hospital with consultants eager to teach trainee doctors. I had to go to a ward for my work, and it took me 20 minutes each way! This was before I was affected by SPD and I could still walk fast. Porters drive little golfcart type things to get from one place to another. Sometimes the labour suites are full, but the theatres are never full.

I was informed at about 38 weeks I would not be allowed a water birth as there was no-one trained (grrr) and I did have doubts in my mind whether I could deal with just gas and air,especially after one midwife asked how I was going to cope seeing as I had had lots of drugs the first time (encouraging ey). My bathroom is very small as is the bath - we also have an old boiler so hot water runs out quickly. I am 6 foot tall so the water was never going to cover me but I spent the vast majority of my labour in the bath. The water was just deep enough to cover my lower back and during contractions my birthing group took it in turns to pour water over my back and bump which felt amazing. I managed a back to back labour with just water (the gas and air cannister didn't work) in my bath.

If you are going to be tense in the hospital your body won't relax and the pain will be worse, whereas at home you will feelmore in control (well I did anyhow) - but at the end of the day this is your birth and you need to go where you feel comfy.

Thanks, beanie. The more I think about it, the more I know I really need to be at home. Like I said, I know there is always the chance I would need to be transferred in an emergency, but I think at that point I would just be worrying about the health of my baby. Emergencies are different. I'm no where near as tall as you- just 5'7''. If I can make the bottom of my bath more comfortable (I also have a problem with my sacrum and the hard bath aggravates it), it sounds like having water poured over me might help. I don't know whether my baby is back to back at the moment or not, but I have heard how painful that is so your saying you managed without gas and air is reassuring. I definitely won't be using it because the last time I tried, I got so violently ill I needed to go on special medication for days!

I'm still confused... But leaning towards home without pool now.

i had a home birth.. i was told i couldnt have one as i was to early 36+5 i phoned them when my waters broke and said im staying here.. so send someone (they have to by law)

this site is awesome http://www.homebirth.org.uk/

and i also bought a birth pool http://www.amazon.co.uk/Childrens-Aquar ... 720&sr=8-3 cheap as hell worked a treat.. didnt birth in pool coz baby was early.. but sooo wanted to.. i used very little gas and air.. being at home was amazing and i cant rate it high enough.. go with what you want.. and if anything happens you get transfured by abulance.. so you dont have to worry aobut transport.. birthing at home was truly amazing and im glad i stuck my ground xx good luck

I had a homebirth without water and couldn't recommend giving birth at home more, I loved it. I was relaxed (well as relaxed as you can be while in labour :lol:) in my own surroundings and could do what I wanted.

I did spend abit of my labour in the bath which was great and took the edge off my pains for a while.

I did use gas & air though. I suppose I could have done without it but because it was there I used it, it didn't really help with my pain anyway but helped take my mind off them abit because I was concentrating on using the gas & air iykwim? I think if you concentrate on getting your breathing right, spend some of your labour in the bath and try and do things to help take your mind off the pain then you will be ok without gas n air :)

I replied in your other thread. I'm happy to chat in PM about a few things. Have some ideas for you :)

I had a waterbirth in a midwife led unit in hospital, but I would highly recommend a home birth. For me the most stressful part was going to hospital (even though it is only 5 minutes drive away). I was pretty far gone and I found the whole experience of having to have all the checks done pretty hard as I was ready to push!!! The stress made the pain feel far worse...

I managed to be very calm at home and managed ok with contractions. I spent about 2 - 3 hours in shower which really helped (if having a pool is a no go I would recommend using a shower, as long as the warm water wouldn't run out). Only issue was that I really wanted to lie down between contractions in shower, so if you opt for that you may want to try to have something to lean against in shower if at all possible?

Water is a wonderful pain relief. Good luck!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

I had a water birth at a midwife led unit and found it to be a really positive experience. It was really relaxed and the staff were fantastic. They really seemed to listen and were so accomodating of any requests we made (both during and after the birth). The pool was amazing! I was 8cm when I got to the unit. Being in the pool made a HUGE and instant difference to my level of discomfort and made the pain very manageable. I only used gas and air for literally 10mins. I also found the support, guidance and reassurance I got from the staff after the birth really useful.

This was my first baby so have no experience of home births; but I would definately like to go to the same place next time and would crawl over hot coals to have another water birth!

Good luck with whatever you decide :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back