Advice & Books on weaning

Lou

Reaction score
Hi

Can any of you recommend a good book about weaning? I was due to attend a workshop but my HV gave me the wrong time so I turned up as it was finishing. I've bought some cow & gate baby rice so thats all ready in the cupboard but I'm unsure about when to start follow on milk and whether to mix the rice with the milk he is on now or the follow on milk? Also do I start the new milk and solids at the same time or space them apart a week or so?

I am also really nervous about cooking, freezing then re-heating solids for Isaac. I hate cooking frozen food for me and Jarrod let alone Isaac! I'm thinking surely its safer and easier to use jars? I know at first there will be alot wasted but I'm not worried about the expense.

Any advice is appreciated as always.

Lou :)

Awww shame about your workshop. Ask you HV if they gave out any leaflets. I got a great booklet from mine, it was really helpful.

Annabel Karmen does great books on weaning, one's called "the complete baby and toddler meal planner"

Don't worry about freezing stuff, I blend carrots and parsnips etc seperatley, then put them in ice cube trays, then when it's frozen put the cubs into bags, then i defrost a few cubes overnight in the fridge or microwave the for a few seconds when I need them. You only need to worry about frozen stuff, if it's kept a long time before or after freezing. When You warm it up, you don't even have to make sure it's piping hot first, just warm it through to keep nutrients in it.

Hope that helps, go ahead and use jars if you want, Brody has a few jars just for variety, but I've saved a fortune so far on baby food by freezing my own. :)

I personlly would use the milk you are using. The cynic in me says that follow on milk isn't really necessary. It is a marketing ploy to get around the ban on advertising formula, and whilst it says that it has added iron, by 6 months your baby will be getting the extra iron from their solid diet. I would continue to use the forula he is on if he likes it.

I'm not going to bother with the follow on milk either, Aimee is on cow and gate premium and she is happy with that so why change it.

at our weaning workshop the HV said you dont need to use follow on milk and carry on using what you are if your happy with it, then when they are 1 year + they can have full fat cows milk

Hiya

I have just been having a nosey at Annabel Karmels website:

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/

It has different recipies and hints and tips too - good to give you a start and free too! :D

Lawson isnt taking to well to weaning - one day he will eat a fair bit and other days he refuses it! He doesnt nap well in the day so think a lot of meal times he is too tired for the challenge of eating! lol Ho hum - I will stick at it!

Good luck :D

Thanks for your replies. I'll have a look at that website later.

The only thing with the forumal Isaac is on now is that its omneo comfort so I'm not sure if I should switch to a "normal" formula when I mix his rice? I dont want the comfort milk to make his tummy sensitive to ordinary milk and solids.

As for the follow on milk I thought that a baby's vitamin stores start to diminish at 6 months so they need extra to replenish them. ? Is that rubbish do you think?

Lou :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back