Adult Education Courses

mags

Reaction score
Has anyone left school with no qualifications and decided to take some adult education courses? I'm 25, and I left school (in the USA) with no formal qualifications...long story and I do regret it, but at the time I thought that working full time was better for me. Now I've got two children and I want them to be proud of me, and I want to do this for myself too. I've been giving it a lot of thought, and I would love to become a midwife, but before that I know I've got a long journey ahead of me and the thought of going back to school scares me! I'm looking into getting my GCSEs and A Levels....has anyone else been through this, and can you tell me what to expect? Thanks, much support needed! :)

You can do an access to nursing course at college. I am starting one in Sept which lasts a year and is one full day and two evenings a week plus homework. There is also another one year option which is three full days a week or a two year option which is one day a week for the first year and two days a week in the second year. The access course gets you up to University standard and is a good way of getting in if you don't have the right qualifications already. If you look up your local college online you should beable to find out if they run this course. The one I am going on costs about £400 but I should get about £300 of it paid because i'm under 25. You can also get help paying it if you are on certain benefits or for other reasons (can't remember) but it might be different in other parts of the country.

hi there i am doing an access course also in sept to get into uni to do midwifery. i have to do a induction course first which is half a day a week for 10 weeks, where they prepare u for uni and to see how your maths and english is. If you maths and english aint up to standard then you can not do the access course untill u have done a foundation course and get a qualification in those areas. I am ok as i have done my level 2 english and am currently working towards my level 2 maths. But it is different in different areas. The access course i am doing is 1 or 2 years but they recommend 2 years as there is alot of work and u have to beat alevel standard to pass. the course is costing £475 for year 1 and £325 for year 2, i am getting it all for £230 as i am in receipt of family tax credits.

get in touch with your local college and they will help ya.

good luckxxx

Been taking a look at my local college's website and it seems they do have an Access To Nursing course. So, from what I understand, you take this course for one year and it gets you up to university standards. Then you have to find a uni to accept you...? And how many years of university does it take?

it depends what u want to do at college. it is three years at uni to become a midwife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back