• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

A BLW question

x Naomi x

Reaction score
Macey is now 21 weeks, i was planning on beginning BLW at 6months, just wondered whats the earliest anyone else has started?

I ask because this last week Macey is switching from having 4 hourly feeds to starting getting grouchy after 2 and a half hours i can stretch it out to 3 during the day and last night she woke up at 430 hungry after having a 240ml (80z) bottle before bed, she usually has between 180-210mls per feed in the day so the amounts havent gone up and she is still only having 4-5 bottles a day.

Her hand mouth coordination seems good anything she holds goes straight in there to be tasted, so do i just keep giving her bottles as and when until she is a little older or would she be safe if i gave her something like a brocolli floret to see what she does?

Personally we started at a few days before 6 months, he had been doing all the things you mentioned for a while before we started but we still made him wait and I just continued demand feeding him as often as he needed. I think it can be confusing as there is usually a big growth spurt around 4 months and babies just need more milk. We have only been BLW a week and it is still just a case of LO playing with the food, he probably does eat a bit but nothing to make him need less milk, I still feed him as much as before.

The reason it can be complicated to start early is its very hard to know what they are alowed to eat before 6 months. I think vegetables are Ok?? If so, I dont think it would hurt to give LO a brocolli floret and let them explore it to see how they get on but make sure you do it AFTER they have been fed their milk feed as otherwise it will frustrate them if they are hungry and cant eat it well, it should be just to play with to start.

I look forward to seeing you in the BLW thread soon with me :hug: xx

thanks for replying! I am quite happy to just persevere with formula feeding if it means me getting up once a night for a month then so be it!

I would much rather do that than upset her little belly and really dont want to go down the whole baby rice / puree route i suppose i just want the reassurance to wait with her

I must say when i got her weighed last week my HV was pleased that we were waiting til 6 months so that was good

yes will definately be in the BLW soon see you in there :hug:

Yeah i totally agree and im glad your HV does too- its nice to hear of HV's not pushing you to wean early onto purees! Reggie is also a great weight and on the higher centile even through having no solids until 6 months so im glad we waited too. :hug: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back