• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

36 week scan

kellyandbump

Reaction score
Hi all, i was sent for an additional scan last week as I am measuring a little bigger than I should be. Little girl was currently weighing in at 7 and a half pounds, what size baby can i be expecting if I go to full term. The consultant has said they will only allow me to go one week over.

Thanks.

i wouldnt worry too much on those growth scans , they can be inaccurate , i was scanned at 33 weeks he was ment to way 4lb , so mum rushed out to get prem baby clothes ( i was having him at 34) and guess what he was born 6lb5oz ! but ive seen it go other way too , been told to have a biff and a lil bubba comes out . leland probably would have been a 10lber at birth

well i think they say they gain half a pound a week by the end of the pregnancy. so i guess if you went to 40 weeks, and at 36 you were 7 and a half then 9 and a half - at 41 weeks 10 lbs. but those scans are never fully accurate, a friend of mine was induced at 39 weeks due to an "enormous" baby (measured by scan) who aparently would never come out naturally...and delivered a 5lb80z baby! he's 7 weeks now and still only 7 and a half lbs.

Mine was supposedly weighing more or less the same at that point when I had my growth scan. I gave birth a few days past my due date to a happy healthy baby boy who weighed 9lb 15oz. Homebirth :)

No one mentioned to me about not being left longer than a week due to babies possible size. I'd have told them where to go if they had talked induction anways. Did he actually say 'allow'? Makes me cross as they can offer an induction but you don't *have* to have one. Allowing makes it seem like you have no choice when in fact you do.

Also larger babies are meant to be easier to deliver generally as they are supposed to be easier to push out. And its shown that allowing yourself to go into labour naturally is better for baby especially if a bit on the larger side. Far less chance of needing intervention that way than if induced.

I'd really not worry too much about things. Growth scans are far from accurate and so many people are told they are having a large baby only to deliver an average sized one its not funny. Yes, some babies are larger but that is not a bad thing. Generally your baby will be a size that your body can cope with delivery wise.

I had a growth scan at 39weeks. Was told to expect a small baby. Under 7lb. At 40 + 10 i had an 8lb 3oz baby.

Sherlock - He mentioned that they would induce me at 41 weeks but never asked for my opion on this. Do I have the right to say no to the induction?

kellyandbump said:
Sherlock - He mentioned that they would induce me at 41 weeks but never asked for my opion on this. Do I have the right to say no to the induction?

Yes you do :) So often they word it so that most women seem to think there is no choice in the matter. But there is. If they wish to offer an induction based on possible larger birth weight of baby I personally don't think that is reason enough. I don't consider it a medical reason. Many women give birth to larger than average babies when the doctors don't even realise the larger size before baby arrives. So I don't get the thinking that because they know (base info from scans etc) then they should take action and medically intervene by inducing.

I was advised (told :p ) by two registrars and the consultant to not have a homebirth because a) my baby was large (and so was I according to my BMI at 37 weeks) b) I was 37 (considered ancient) and c) I was a first time mum. They also said if I went to 41 weeks they would have me back to discuss induction. I said thank you but no thank you, I'd not want inducing and I'd like a homebirth please. And I had one.

They can advise. Give you their medical opinion. Based on readings that chances are are not totally accurate. You can listen to their advice, go do some reading of your own and make up your own mind :) Everything I read up on indicated it was better to wait for your body to go into labour and to try to give birth naturally as it usually resulted in less intervention from Docs etc.

Sometimes babies don't descend for a number of reasons. Then of course a Doctor would probably have to do something, but you can give your body and baby a chance to do their thing on their own first if both you and baby are well during labour. I had monitoring every 15 minutes or so with a hand held Doppler for my homebirth. Means you can be mobile and use gravity to help encourage baby out. If you are monitored constantly then you are stuck close to a bed and won't be able to move around freely in labour. I do suggest you ask for regular checks over being wired up and stuck to a machine. They can do this and should if asked. My LO was never in distress when monitored. Before, during and after contractions, he was always ok :) Keeping mobile is a great thing in labour and if you have a bit of a big baby there then even better as it will help LO out :)

End of the day its your choice. If you wish to be induced I strongly suggest reading up on things and seeing if you think it would be beneifical to you or your baby to opt for this. If you are well and so is baby, I'd suggest waiting for LO to arrive in their own time. Whatever you are happy with :)

My 36 week scan showed that LO was just over 7lbs, she was born at 38 weeks weighing 7lb 13, and I was told she would have been 9lb ish if I had gone to 40 wks. My consultant never mentioned induction, he just said we would "aim for spontaneous labour!" I went into labour the next day, so don't know what they would have done if I hadn't. If you are happy with the chance of a big baby then refuse the induction, as Sherlock says they can't make you do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back