2/3 week old, long periods awake at night

DW1978

Reaction score
Morning ladies,

Is anyone else having problems getting their little ones to sleep in the night? Jax is being a nightmare at the moment. Last night wasn't so bad, I took him up to bed at about 9.45pm but couldn't get him to go to sleep until about 11pm. Then he slept till about 1.30am and then was awake for an hour again. He falls asleep while I'm bf so I put him down in his Moses basket but within 10mins I can hear him snuffling again, looking for more food. I can get him in and out 10 times, give him more milk, settle him down and the same happens again. It's so frustrating. The same happens in the middle of the night, after about 3.5 hours sleep, sometimes he's awake for hours in the muddle of the night. I've tried putting him down awake and he'll happily lay there by himself for 10/15 mins but is soon crying and looking for milk again. I know I've got plenty of milk as I can hear him gulping it down and even after 20/30 mins on the same book, I can still hear him swallowing.

I know it won't last forever but I just don't remember Lennon being like this at all or maybe he was but being 5 year younger I just found it easier and got on with it. Do you thinks its still just early days and he'll sort himself out? The night before last he was up from 2.45am till 5.15am and then we get up at about 6.30am for school. I felt crap but couldn't catch up on any sleep in the day as he was awake for most of that too!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

For the first four weeks with caitlin she just seemed to be constantly on my boob (its a distant memory lol) but it does get better

Oh Ryan was the same up all night then napping during the day. I tried everything but he still didn't get the difference between night and day. It's soul destroying putting a baby down only to pick them up again 10 mins later. Things aren't much different now at 9 weeks except that he can go longer between feeds. When I say it out loud 9 weeks is nothing but I'm shattered already.

Drake is the same. Got him to sleep about 1 last night, he was awake again at 2.30 for an hour and then again at 5. Luckly for me oh hot up with him about 6.30 as I couldn't get him back off and I managed to get a few hours sleep but god knows how I'll cope next week when oh is back at work. I really hope it does get better as little one seems to be awake all day too. Always on the boob! Can hear him drinking and swallowing, falls asleep on there and wants more 10 mins later!

So glad I'm not the only one. It's so so tiring, just wish he would feed and go to sleep in the night!

Aww girls it really does get easier - honest!

Milk production is highest between 12 and 4 which is why we find our babies wanting to feed lots in the early hours.

I used to blow on Georgie to try and stir her when she was dropping off feeding or touch her cheek. The amount of times I went to sleep with her on my chest tho just to get some decent sleep! She hated being put down on her back. In the end I swaddled her really tight and lay her on her side with rolled up towels supporting her.

Learning to feed lying down is a wonderful skill! I know how scary it is when they are so tiny tho - but any little movement from baby or my OH I was awake and she could latch on easy while I dozed xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 8900 using Tapatalk

Kynon is also in the greedy, needy boys club! Last night we had the best night ever, 5 hours sleep! Maybe it's right what everyone says about turning a corner at 6 weeks! It's so hard going though isn't it? Im also finding it really hard and don't remember michaela doing this either, but like you I'm thinking am I just suffering more from tiredness cos I'm that much older so don't cope so well on no sleep! My hubby had enough too (and he gets much more sleep than me!) and keeps mentioning formula, not going to give in though it's only for a few months out of my life after all! Hang in there, your def not the only one x

[posted in wrong thread lol baby brain]

Last edited:
Caleb was really bad at nights in the beginning! He'd be an angel all day and everyone would say how cute he was but then at night times he was the worst!

My mum said I was the same as a baby and my cousins baby was the same and they used a dummy... We tried it with Caleb and it's changed our lives! Sometimes they just want to suck for comfort to get to sleep, so we got him the tommee tippee closer to nature one, its no the classic shape so it doesn't interrupt their breastfeeding and it's done wonders. He'll fall asleep while feeding then stir after 5 mins, so we put that in his mouth and he's straight off for a few hours

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back