12wks - need to stop being so worried. Anyone have any positive facts etc?

Gen2012

Reaction score
Hi girls, after a LONG ttc/ivf journey Im 12 wks preg in the morning. I just cannot believe it! Im SO excited but I find Im worrying so so much. Is it me or are there stories of MC everywhere?! or is it just when youre preg you hear them ev where? I havent had any probs since BFP thank God but still cant stop worrying that its all going to go wrong becuase Ive never in my life been so happy.
Are there any stats or pieces of knowledge you might have about reaching 12 weeks? xxx

Hi there congrats on ur pregnancy after ur long journey. I am 10+3 with my first bub and cannot wait until scan...11 days to go!! :) i have read a few things but am no means an expert, but heard that every week u get to its less chance...starting right from 6 weeks. Most happen apparently before u even know u r pregnant. By 12 weeks i know the percentage of loss is definitely reduced but not sure of actual statistics! I know there are a lot of very sad stories on here...i took a break a couple of weeks ago as it was beginning to worry me, however heard hb at 9 weeks so made me a little more relaxed! Plus i love being able to chat to all the lovely ladies on here.
Hope this helps a bit. Surw there are some more knowledgable ladies out there! :) congrats again. Xxx

What can you expect to see on your early pregnancy scan?

5 weeks pregnant:
A small gestation sac in the uterus measuring approximately 3 – 4 mm

6 weeks pregnant:
Within the uterus a small gestation sac and maybe a small yolk sac within it can be seen. Closer to 7 weeks a fetal pole, the visual start of seeing a baby(s) but still measuring only a few millimetre (the size of a grain of rice) with a heartbeat the chances of pregnancy continuing 78%.

7 weeks pregnant:
The baby usually measures 10 – 20 mm and a heartbeat can be seen clearly

8 weeks pregnant:
Baby now measures 20 – 30 mm and again a heartbeat is clearly visible. Chances of pregnancy continuing 98%

http://www.thisismy.co.uk/early-reassurance-dating-scan/

10 weeks pregnant:
Baby now measures 35 – 40mm and if the heartbeat is present and the baby measures appropriately for your dates, the chances of the pregnancy continuing is 99.4%.

11 weeks pregnant onwards:
The baby is now measuring approximately 45mm and clearly has a distinguishable head, body, arms and legs. The heart can be seen beating in the chest area and the stomach, bladder and cord insertion are visible. The baby from this time onwards just has to grow and get bigger and stronger.

Last edited:
The statistics regarding miscarriage vary widely depending on the source. Here are some of the basic numbers.

Almost 20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, with the majority occurring during the first 12 weeks.

There is a 75% chance of miscarriage in weeks 1-2 of pregnancy, when you do not know you are pregnant.

There is a 10% chance of miscarriage in weeks 3-6 and this number drops to 5% during weeks 6-12.

During the second trimester the chance of miscarriage drops again to 3%. After you’ve reached 20 weeks gestation, it is no longer considered a miscarriage.

For repeat miscarriage the statistic are as follows:

If you have had a miscarriage during your first pregnancy, your chances of another miscarriage are 10-13%.

If you have had one or more live births and one miscarriage your chance of another miscarriage is around 10%.

There is a 40% chance of a repeat miscarriage if you have had two pregnancies and two miscarriages.

The chance of multiple miscarriages is lower, at around 13%, if you have had one or more live births.

If you have had three pregnancies and three miscarriages there is a 60% chance you will miscarry again. If you have had four miscarriages with no live births your chances of a healthy pregnancy drop to 0-5%.

http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnancy-articles/337.html

Hope these help you a little :) xx

Doob thanks so much :)
3% chance only of mis car after week 12 is brilliant! :) Yay Im so excited now.
Youre 6 days ahead of me. How are you feeling?
My sickness has practically gone. Now Ive just lightheadedness and a bad headache today. Im expecting twins on 25th Dec !

My sickness has cleared up too but I did have headaches over the weekend but they've cleared up now so feeling pretty good for the first time in ages. Hope your headache clears soon x

Hi Gen2012, I know how u feel I am 11+5,and had a mc in Oct last year. I had a scan two week ago and the mw said that once you see a hb chances of a mc are considerable less. Best of luck tm x

Doob thanks so much :)
3% chance only of mis car after week 12 is brilliant! :) Yay Im so excited now.
Youre 6 days ahead of me. How are you feeling?
My sickness has practically gone. Now Ive just lightheadedness and a bad headache today. Im expecting twins on 25th Dec !

Twins!!! Wow...congrats! I am a nanny to twins now 2 and a half. :) xxx

Are you getting your head round the idea of twins? My hubby is really worried that we might be having twins as my dad is a twin and I'm looking a lot bigger this time than first time round! Will find out at the scan next Fri!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back