• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

worried about my scan

saze

Reaction score
hya ladies does anyone have any helpful ideas on how not to pee myself at my 20weeks scan? ive got it in 2weeks. At my first scan i almost didnt make it and this one is even longer! I dont know what to do as i have a week bladder to begin with never mind the baby sat on it and drinking 1Ltr of water! im scared i wont be able to do it lol xxx:roll:

Dont worry you do not need to drink a load of water this time, just drink normally .

yep, i was told just to drink normally, and void the toilet an hour before scan...

xx

oh great! how come? it says to on my appointment. im sooo relieved! x

Funny, at my 20 week san they told me to have an empty bladder

I hate scans for this reason, I have a very weak bladder and it starts making me very anxious if I cant get going. Last time, at 12 wk scan I drank a bottle of juice - and kept re-filling the cups with water in the waiting room i was totally bursting and the lady still said that my bladder wasn't that full.

Have my 20 week scan on Monday and i'm dreading it for this reason.

:roll:

let me know how you get on littlemiss83! my bladder is terrible also :(. I dont get how it dosnt bother some people! gud luck chick!

I went for my scan last week and didn't have to have a full bladder (I actually went to the toilet just before I was called). By 20 weeks the uterus is well out of the pelvic cavity so an empty or full bladder makes little difference to how well they can see the baby.

You only need a full bladder at 12 weeks or earlier because then the uterus is still partially hidden in your pelvis and a full bladder makes it rise up and become more accessible for the sonographer.

I done a thread about this when i was going for my 20 week scan... i was so nervous about it all because i have a very week bladder and at my 12 week scan i was in so much pain! I never had much to drink when i went for my 20 week one and they said my bladder was empty, the picture was crap and they couldn't see the sex of the baby. I was gutted... luckily though they never got all the measurements and checks done so i got to go back! I sipped water starting about 50 minutes before my appointment and i was actually fine that time. Try practising these 2 weeks before you go. Make sure you drink the water though if your wanting to find out the sex, i was gutted when i thought i wasn't going to find out because my bladder was empty the babies bum was leaning into my bladder so they couldn't see. xxx

Last edited:
okay chick thanks, ill try doing what you did, i guess i can do this for my baby! xxx

Ive been told to have an empty bladder for 20 week scan too

At my hospital (Glasgow Royal Infirmary) it has signs up all over the scan waiting area saying you must drink as much as you can before any scan. The same rules apply for 12 and 20 weeks (or any later ones) even though they will defo see the baby at 20 weeks with empty bladder, it just means its that wee bit clearer, as your bladder is under the baby, and when you drink more it increases and pushes the baby up which makes it easier to see.

Course you can do it, i dunno if its the same for you but it helps me if i don't drink anything up until i need to (hour or so before) I bet you will be fine! xxx

I was told i dont need a full bladder at the 20 week scan either i asked why and they said because the baby eill be well out of the prlvis at youre 12 week scan u have 2 have a full bladder to push the baby up a bit x

It said in my letter I was to drink 4-6 glasses of water, I went in with a full bladder (whoops!) and they had a look but couldn't see properly because my bladder was so full and it also meant baba had less room to wriggle about.. It's not the same as 12 wk scan pushing baby to the front.. They asked me to go empty my bladder and then after it they could get a much better picture and also do the measurements and check everything and baba had more room to jump about on screen hehe. I would say have a couple of glasses of water but don't go over board hun, they can always ask you to empty your bladder if it makes the scanning easier x

This is what I was thinking too - worst case senario is bladder is full and they cant do the scan properly, at least you can nip out and go to the toilet.

:)

Funny how everywhere is different. When I went for a private early scan at 10 weeks I didn't even need a full bladder then, the sonographer said it was a load of rubbish and didn't know why hospitals told us that he said it makes no difference! We got really clear pictures as well, maybe the equipment at the private place was newer than the nhs ones or something!

For my first scan (13 weeks), I drank 100ml water and we could see her perfectly clear. For my second (20+6), I drank 500ml and she seemed a blur.

If you're planning to drink plenty of fluid, then do it in the waiting room, therefore you haven't the need to sit with a full bladder for 1-2 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back