Work and Holiday...

Lulabell

Reaction score
So I thought I'd see if anyone knew the answer on here... and possibly help out any others who are wondering the same.

What's the deal with holiday's at work? I am due 25th Jan and plan to go on maternity 2 weeks before. Can I use all my holiday before then or am I not entitled to all of it? Was hoping to use a weeks holiday before starting maternity leave to give myself a little bit more time!

Any help or knowledge on this would be gratefully received! Many thanks!xx

I assume you can use your holiday - my work friend went on maternity and used all her remaining holiday (only 4 days tho) before she started maternity.
I also plan to do the same, my new holiday allowance begins december 1st - im due january 9th - thinking back now i have no idea how im going to work this one!! x

I would guess this probably depends on your employer, and possibly depends when your holiday year runs from.

For example i would assume if your holidays run from april - april then you will have worked nearly a full year so there for should be entitled to at least most of your holidays (minus what you've already used), but if your holiday year starts in jan then they might say you havent worked enough of the year to earn holidays ( the same as they would say if you were planning to leave your job)

hope that kinda makes sense.

Hate to say it, but the best thing to do is propably ask.

xxx

My employer let me roll over 5 days to the next year and are allowing me to use 31 days after my maternity leave had ended. I'm in my third week now.

Im allowed all the holiday I have accrued plus all of next yrs holiday as i would accrue this this while on maternity but i can take it now.

you are allowed the full years holiday as when you are on maternity leave you are still technically employed and therefore acrue holiday as you normally would. this means you can take it either before your mat starts, stick it at the end, or if your employer allows take it as a lump payment.

I've been really lucky with the timing as my work year runs from jan-dec, due in october and going on maternity leave at the end of aug. I've been able to use my full years holiday between jan-aug which has really helped me shorten my working week for these last few weeks by taking a day off per week as holiday. this way it doesn't affect my normal hours and therefore how much my wages are for the maternity allowence to be calculated on.

You also accrue bank holidays! I am taking 18 days holiday before my maternity leave kicks in and then about 20 days after my maternity leave ends, still leaving me 8 days to take when I return xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back