What do I need to express milk?

ShadowWolf

Reaction score
Ok, so I had planned to do all the feeding myself to take the weight off my OH as he will be working, didn't want him to have to get up at all hours but he has told me that he really wants to help with the feeds so I need to get myself some stuff to express milk!

What I want to know is what the hell do I need?! I know it sounds daft but I hadn't even thought about so I don't know what on earth I need! I only really want the basics of what I need, nothing fancy, and as cheap as possible.

Please can I have your advice on equipment, brands, where to get it and.... stuff! I don't know what I need to know! Lol!!

Thanks
xxxx

Hi ShadowWolf, I also expressed to allow my partner to become involved in feeding. It was wonderful. I got really emotional watching him feed our baby for the first time.

Anyway here is a list of the basic equiptment you will need:

Breast Pump - You will have to decide between electric and manual, I used electric and although it took a bit of getting used to I managed to express well with it after a couple of times. Electric pumps are more expensive however i do feel its worth the money. This will allow you to feed and express at the same time (will help with the let down reflex, which can be hard to achieve when expressing). As for brands.. there are a few main players but I swear by avent, they are affordable but good quality.

BreastMilk Containers - For ease of use I would suggest the breast milk storage bags, they can go in the freezer or fridge, and it makes transferring your milk to a bottle simple. They are also very affordable and can be found in your supermarket. (i got mine in tesco)

Steriliser - now that you usinf bottles your going to need sterilising equiptment. There are many different types of steriliser. But I used a steam steriliser which you can pop in the microwave for a few minutes. It was easy to use and because it was avent again, i could easily fit all my breast pump equiptment and bottles in it Its very easy to use and I have now used it with two babies so its sturdy.

Bottles - Again i used avent bottles, simple, easy to use and good quality. I used dr browns bottles with my first son but noticed no difference when i switched to avent with my second. also i love how simple the avent bottles are, it meant all my partners attention could be on the feeding.

These are your basic must haves, if you want simplicity and quality I would swear by avent equiptment. They have great breast&bottle feeding packs which could save you some money, i bought mine from amazon.

Here is some tips I have found online for you too. Good Luck!"

Successful Breastmilk Expression

Expressing milk is very simple and easy, you will soon get used to expressing your milk. However, you may need to try a few times before you succeed initially.
1. Try not to express when you are rushed. Choose a time when you can relax, free of interruptions.
2. Let-down can be encouraged by having your baby, or a photo of your baby, nearby.
3. Warmth and relaxation can encourage milk flow.
4. Try expressing after a bath or a shower.
5. Try expressing from one breast while your baby is feeding from the other, or continue expressing straight after a feed.

If you experience difficulties with breastmilk expression please consult your breastfeeding advisor.

Breastmilk Storage
GuidelinesUKAMB 2nd Edition April 2001
1.Storage Containers should be clean and sterilised before use
2. Breastmilk should be kept at room temperature for as short as time possible and refrigerated immediately after expression
3. Breastmilk can be stored at room temperature for up to 6 hours
4. Breastmilk stored in a refrigerator should be used within 48 hours and stored at a temperature of 2 - 4ºC
5. Breastmilk that has not been used within 48 hours should be stored frozen at -20ºC for a maximum of 3 months.

Expressed Breastmilk Defrosting and Warming
1. Wash your hands thoroughly before handling breastmilk
2. Defrost expressed milk in the fridge. If needed quickly defrost under cool, then warm running water.
3. Dry the outside of the container with paper before use

DO NOT USE A MICROWAVE TO DEFROST OR WARM EXPRESSED BREASTMILK. IF THE EXPRESSED MILK SMELLS SOUR DISCARD IMMEDIATELY"

Last edited:
Not going to even attempt to add to what buns and ovens said, spot on!! x

Thankyou so so so much!! That is just awesome, thankyou for going to all the trouble!

xxxx

Ok, so now i'm battling with the most money effective way to get one of these. I'm looking at the sets and kits. I'm torn between Tommee Tipee and Avent.... I want a manual one as there is no way I can afford an electric one :S

Anyone know where either are on offer?

xx

FlexiLexi,
I am well and truly :busted:

My friends call me Monica(from friends) cause im so fond of writing lists and giving advice/feedback/reviews etc! lol

Pity i dont have her passion for :hang::wash::dish:

ShadowWolf,
pleased i could be of some help!! xx

Ok, so now i'm battling with the most money effective way to get one of these. I'm looking at the sets and kits. I'm torn between Tommee Tipee and Avent.... I want a manual one as there is no way I can afford an electric one :S

Anyone know where either are on offer?

xx

Try tesco direct, amazon and ebay.
also there are places like kiddiecare etc but they tend to be more expensive x

Asda baby event is on till 8th August, the Tommee Tipee manual breast pump is £10 cheapest ive seen it anywhere :)

you need lactating breasts, and bottles. Oh and some hands to squeeze with (your or somebody else's, whichever you prefer).
Anything else is not obligatory.

i dunno if this is against forum rules but i have a tommee tippee electric breast pump for sale, its half the original price and was new when i got it (i used it about three times and then got hold of a double breastpump from a friend)

<end of shameless plug> xxx

Oh, get some freezer bags too you can write on them and store your milk for up to 3 months

I'm using Tommee Tippee and think they are brilliant. I went for the bottles as the teats are suppose to be like drinking from your nipple.
Their official website do offers, or you can keep an eye out on ebay, Asda's baby and toddler event, kiddicare, the baby show (which is where I got alot of my stuff from) or offers from mothercare (i got the steam steriliser for £20 instead of £40) or local supermarkets.
Hope this helps x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back