Was I irresponsible

lauramumof2

Reaction score
Joe had a visit at the out patients clinic today. The kids out patient clinic. A place where you would expect to find sick kids.

Joes chickenpox came out the other day but today I took him to the appointment at the clinic (unrelated to the pox).

He was in hosptial 6 weeks ago and should have been seen the week after he got out but because the clinic was overappointed we were put back a month.

We were treated like leppers. Ushered into a side room, he didnt get his weight or height taken and the doc had a quik look at him and we were sent away and the nurse told me I shouldnt have brought him.

What a load of bolloks.
What do you guys think.

thats a hard one i think you were in the right to take him and i would have done the same and its upsetting to hear how you were treated i can understand going into a sideroom but to treat you like leppars and not look at you properly is disgusting :hug:

Personally I wouldn't have taken him, you don't know who could catch it and what complications they may have, eg sick kids with very low immune system etc through different illnesses may get it really badly on top of the illness they had already. I think cos there were so many sick kids there is exactly why they didn't want chicken pox there on top.

That might just be me being paranoid though haha, I always think about stuff like that :oops: probably cos my stepdad had chemo and a stem cell transplant the same time Mason had chicken pox! It turned everyone into nervous wrecks.

tricky one that, I think to treat you like leppers is a bit harsh but I guess there could be children in the waiting room that could be more susceptible to thinks like chicken pox and they were trying to protect them, I understand that all children get the chicken pox at some time but from my own point of view I would hate Teej to get it just now as he is so young and also we are going on holiday and it would be awful to have to cancel, so maybe there are lots of different reasons why they felt they had to put you in a side room.

I hope he is feeling better now though, poor little thing, I remember having chicken pox - I have the scars to prove it!! :hug:

weeeeeeeellllllll!

I think if you were so keen for him to be seen you should have phoned your health visitor and got her to come to your house TBH!

Yes children are likely to get chicken pox its one of the beautiful things about having children but the other children there were poorly and it wouldnt be very nice for the parents or the children to have that on top of their own illness it is hard enough when they are poorly without adding to it.

Maybe you misinterperetted their stares like treating you like a lepar to not understanding why you thought you should take him but i cant really say becaus ei dont know as i wasnt there.

I think you need to ask yourself if your LO was poorly (not Chicken Pox) but say was just getting over Bronchilitis and some mother bought her child with chicken pox to a clinic and your LO caught that would you be pleased because i know i wouldnt. Im sorry to sound harsh but i do think in this instance you should have either rescheduled or you should of asked your HV to visit you.

i would have took my child too wouldnt have crossed my mind to be honest, if i had sat down and assesed the situation then i might have realised but i wouldnt have assesed it :lol:

and if i know a child with chicken pox i will be rubbing them against my child so Dior and Harley catch it now

dionne said:
and if i now a child with chicken pox i will be rubbing them against my child so Dior and Harley catch it now

dont get me wrong personlly i would love alfie to get chicken pox ... but he isnt poorly right now.

If he was poorly then i would get really upset that someone bought their kiddy with chicken pox in fact i think i would think "bloody hell thats all i need is fior to catch this on top of what he has got"

i think if you wanted your child seeing so desperately hun you really should of gone to A) doctors or B) spoke to HV firstly

i have still never had it

when i was 11weeks pregnant tyler (my brother) got it so i had to have the injection to stop me and baby catching it.

dionne said:

when i was 11weeks pregnant tyler (my brother) got it so i had to have the injection to stop me and baby catching it.

its worse the older you get it i was 14 and i was sooooo poorly i had them eveywhere you can imagine

in my eye sockets in my nose in my throat ... in my bum in my ladey bits and just everywhere i was sooo poorly!

i remeber my mum putting rubber gloves on my brother he was so bad and i heard the more you scratch they will scar

yeah they do rally bad i have dips in my skin now from them but they are starting to fade a bit. you honestly cannot imagine the itching i couldnt sleep with anything over e cause i had a temp too and i had to sleep under a sarong

if i could get Alfie to have it now my god id let him get itn now two weeks of hell but it wouldnt be so bad for him i dont think

It wasnt to see the hv, it was to see a paediatrician. He gets the nurse to come and check his blood pressure every week.

There were only 2 folk in the waiting room and Joe was pretty ill when he was in hospital. I dont know if anyone has heard of henoch shonlan purpura. (thats for another time).

I dont regret taking him, just wondered what others thought.

didnt know the poor mite had been ill

bless his little heart

not heard of it though

just googled it - ppor thing :(
hope he feels better soon x

I don't think it matters what age you get chicken pox AM it just affects people differently, I got Chicken pox when I was 6 months old & there wasnt a part of my body that wasnt covered, I was so ill with them that I was in hospital for week. My brother got them around the same time and he was fine just had a few spots.

dionne said:

oooo you dont want chicken pox at your age, OH's mum had it in her 30s and she was off work for 6 months, she couldnt eat and was very ill, adults can die. She was coverd in spots head to toe and was very lucky that she didnt scar

I had shingles about 8 years ago. I'd had chicken pox as a kid but apparently it lives in your spine and if you get run down it can come back. It was a bloody nightmare! I ended up in hospital on a Zovirax drip.

It's a really nasty virus.....

I thought once you had the spots come out you weren't contageous any more so it would have been fine for you to have taken him.. imo You never know who is harbouring the disease until it is too late.....

No I wouldn't have took him, or I would have called and asked first what the risks were to other people. You aren't just putting other ill people at risk but also the staff, who may have to be quarantined if they come into contact with infectious diseases, leading to fewer staff. I remember a baby being born with chickenpox (mum had it too :? ) when Josh was born and the staff who came into contact with it who hadn't had chickenpox had to stay off work for the incubation period.

Lyndsey said:
I thought once you had the spots come out you weren't contageous any more so it would have been fine for you to have taken him.. imo You never know who is harbouring the disease until it is too late.....

You can be contagious for roughly 5 days after the spots appear, schools usually say they can come back a week after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back