Vegetarian...

laracomps

Reaction score
Well I've been vegetarian for about 11 years now.

I have always said the only time I thought I would turn back to meat would be when I was pregnant. And to be honest I am very surprised that I haven't!

I did crave bacon for a while - but I didn't actually WANT bacon, just the flavour, so frazzles did the trick :)

So just out of interest wondered if there were any other veggies that have ended up going back to meat?

I spent 5 years as a vegetarian during my teenage years, I started eating meat again when I was 17 (I originally stopped eating meat as I thought it was wrong to eat animals, as I got older I changed my mind on this and decided that it's just natural and most animals eat something below them in the food chain).

I found it really hard learning to digest meat again though, the first thing I ate was some chicken soup and it made me sick. It was a good few weeks before I could eat meat without vomiting.

To be honest I didn't eat very well when I was a veggie, I was often tired and feeling cold cos I wasn't eating the right things to substitute the lack of meat.

hmm thats one other thing I've always thought. I don't know if I could ever physically eat meat again, especially now I haven't even when pregnant.

I too stopped eating meat because of eating animals. I still feel the same way, but have considered eating it again over the past few years - though I'd always go for the free range option.

I think the thing that has always stopped me from going back to meat, is I don't miss it. I am quite happy to have a plate of veggies when everyone else is having their roast.

Maybe i'm just strange :rotfl:

What will you do when your babys older? Will you cook meat for them or bring them up as a veggie?
I've always thought it must be a big thing for a vegetarian parent to decide, some can't even handle meat, and if it goes against your beliefs it must be hard to do.
Then there's the argument that it should be the childs choice, lots to think about :think:

ive never eaten meat or fish and certainly not had any meat cravings during pregnancy

im a bit unusual in that i just refused to eat meat when i was a baby- my mum tells me one of the first statements i ever made was that i wouldnt eat meat! and my parents gave up trying to force feed me by the time i was a toddler

My OH eats meat though (and so does my cat lol)

when Anjali's born.....i feel it would be hypocritical for me to feed my child something i wouldnt put it my own mouth....imagine if i fed her meat and when she was a teenager she yelled at me for making her eat dead animals!!!

But at the same time because its not a moral thing with me why should i inflict my preferences?

what we will do is, i'll feed her mainly veggie stuff, and OH can feed her meat stuff....if she likes it then she can have it, if she doesnt like it i wont force her. And if she does get mad at me when she's older i can say blame your dad! LOL

oh I have already made this decision for sure.

They will eat meat, and I will cook it for them - I do for DH anyway.

If they decide to be veggie when they are old enough fair enough - but I would not allow them to until the are old enough to make this decision for the right reasons, as I did when I was 13.

Hehe, my OH would laugh though if he read this. My idea of 'preparing' a ham sandwich for him, is to use a knife and fork to handle it lol

:lol: I'm still very funny about meat, I don't eat it very often as although I like the taste the texture puts me off. I'm really picky about which bits I'll eat, OH always tell's me off cos I can only eat bacon if I pull all the rind off so I'm left with a circle :lol:
I can't eat ham, I hate the taste and feel of it :puke:

laracomps said:
If they decide to be veggie when they are old enough fair enough - but I would not allow them to until the are old enough to make this decision for the right reasons, as I did when I was 13.

i see freedom of choice differently....freedom 'to' and freedom 'from'.....i would rather mine not have meat forced on her unless she decides she wants it..once youve eaten something you've eaten it and it cant be undone....

but like i already said i will let OH try her on it because she's not just my child...

Def see your point of view. My OH would not let me bring her up as a veggie even if I wanted to.

If she didn't like meat, I think it would be a different story. But I think my husband would always blame me! He is always trying to convert me!

It certainly hasn't done me any harm over the years...

I never ate red meat before this pregnancy although I did eat chicken and fish - it's not a moral thing for me I just cannot stand the taste, smell or anything about it. Especially lamb, I can't even be int he same room if someone's cooking or eating lamb :puke:

Anyway my first craving this pregnancy was for (of all things!) BEEF! I've never come round to lamb (it still stinks) but have been reintroduced to steaks, burgers and bacon (though I know that's pork and technically white meat!!! I'm not that dense!)...

SO weird.

I bet I go off it all again after she's born :roll:

I usually don't eat meat or fish (have texture issues, not moral), but hubby was keen for me to try some chicken because I was lacking protein in my pregnancy diet.

I tried some, it was :puke:

However, I have taken a liking to sausages! :oops: :oops: I really love a sausage sarnie!

But that is about the extent of my meat eating, I usually eat a veggie diet.

I am keen for my child to eat white meat and fish though, I may have to bring myself round to trying some more chicken to set a good example. :?

Ive been a veggie since I was 12 and havent turned to meat this pregnancy although once did think I could eat a ham sandwich!!! It soon passed though!
No, quite happy carrying on with veggie diet. OH isnt a veggie and wants baby to be brought up eating meat, so I said he'd have to start cooking more as he eats a lot of veggie meals!! (Cant see that happening so baby will probably be veggie too!!! :rotfl: )

Happybunny said:
I usually don't eat meat or fish (have texture issues, not moral), but hubby was keen for me to try some chicken because I was lacking protein in my pregnancy diet.

dont let anyone tell you you cant get enough protein on a vegetarian diet! The guideline protein requirement is something like 50g a day....now as a competitive bodybuilder i was eating 250g protein a day - FIVE TIMES non-athlete recommended amount....with not a fish or a chicken in sight!

gymbabeliz said:
Happybunny said:

dont let anyone tell you you cant get enough protein on a vegetarian diet! The guideline protein requirement is something like 50g a day....now as a competitive bodybuilder i was eating 250g protein a day - FIVE TIMES non-athlete recommended amount....with not a fish or a chicken in sight!

You are right, I have managed to find lots of ways during this pregnancy so that I didn't have to eat meat. I think hubby is just really keen for me to get over my texture issues so that we can share more meals together. He is a total carnivore.

i always ate meat until I got pregnant, then when I had morning sickness I couldn't stand the smell or taste of any meat especially chicken. I still can't face the thought of eating or smelling chicken now!

I was a veggie from age 12 for about 6 years, it was actually a Christmas dinner that made em eat meat again! My sisters OH cooks the BEST roast dinners and so i had some. Sausages in bacon, turkey, the lot!
When i first became non-veggie again i was quite excited about eating meat

Now it's worn off and for some reason i can't stand beef unless its mince. I also can't face sauages or burgers - because i don't know where on the animal the meat is from and they tend to shove a lot of crap in these things!

I tend to stick to pure cuts of meat, but even then i don't eat that much of them.

I was the world's WORST veggie, as i really don't like vegetables.. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back