Vegetarian Recipies

poppy160

Reaction score
As of today, I've decided to become a vegetarian :cheer:

I need some yummy recipies to cheer up a not too happy OH, as I won't even be cooking separate meat dishes for him. (I'm a bitch, I know!)

allrecipes.com

They have some great veggie recipes.

I am a veggie too although the baby obviously isn't cos I crave meat all the time just now.

Some meat free mince and sausage type things are just as good as normal stuff imo.

Good luck x

try 101cookbooks.com its not exclusively veggie, but nice recipies and delicious looking photos! otherwise, delia smith's veggie cookbook is great - and lots of "meaty" type dishes like shepheards pie etc recreated with lentils rather than scary quorn type stuff. I think you can find lots of her stuff on line too.

good luck! I've been veggie for almost 4 years now and havent missed meat at all...

my OH is veggie, so I kind of became veggie not by choice! :lol:

tbh, now so many of the supermarket chains have their own vegetarian ranges its quite easy! of course their's quorn products as well!
tesco have a really good range, their garlic kiev's are really nice, though their soy mince is rubbish!
for chicken pieces and fillets and soy mince I recommend quorn!

good luck on being veggie!! :D its easy really and tbh I feel a lot healthier now I've cut out meat and don't miss it all.... its been about two years now! :shock:

Do you want to eat meat substitutes? I don't eat meat, but because I don't like the taste, rather than on principle, subsequently I don't eat 'fake meat!'

I find that lentils are great, I make chilli, lasagne, shepherds pie with tinned green lentils and veggies instead of mince.

I have a fantastic cookbook, that I would really recommend, this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-Cook-V ... 573&sr=8-1

It is really good as it has sections for starters etc and then the book is in sections according to what you are cooking with e.g. eggs, pulses, cheese etc. It also has a section for meat substitutes like Quorn.

It is actually quite easy to not eat meat (although I still eat some things!)

Are you planning to bring Ella up as a veggie? If so the same author does a book for children and toddler's diets:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rose-Elliots-Mo ... 856&sr=1-9

Have fun!

Thanks for all the great tips, everyone!!

Magic Monkey, I'm going to stock up on lentils when we go to Tesco later, I love them! I will probably use Quorn sometimes, I've always chosen Quorn sausages rather than meat ones anyway but we tried the Quorn chicken pieces the other day and it was quite nice! But it can be quite expensive so it'll only be a now and then kind of thing.

I am stuck as to what to do with Ella, being a vegetarian is my choice but I would like her to have the chance to decide what she wants when she's older. I give her home cooked food most of the time (Not at the moment because we're moving) so she won't have meat..Will she miss out on any essential nutrients?

I don't think that she will miss out if you replace meat with the right things, but I couldn't tell you what they are! I would try to get the book I mentioned above as that will tell you what things to put in her diet to make sure that she has enough protein, iron etc.

I posted about this in the BLW thread and someone suggested buying ready cooked meat like cooked chicken etc. so you don't have to cook it, but she can still eat it, maybe you could try that?

My favorite (and easiest) veg dish is Mozarella pasta bake with quorn pieces. :D

Serves 6
150g pasta twists (I usually use whole wheat)
50g button mushroom, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
350g pack of Quorn pieces
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 level tbsp tomatoe puree
1 level tsp dried oregano
100g mozarella cheese, cubed (I usually use the light version too)
2 tbsp freshly torn basil leaves
75g cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 200oc (180 fan) gas mark 6. Cook the pasta according to the instructions. Drain and keep warm.

Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes unitl just soft. Stir in the quorn peices, mushrooms and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, tomatoe puree, oregano and season well. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 6-8 mins. Add the mozarella , mely slowly over a low heat and then stir in the torn basil leaves.

Put the cooked pasta into the base of a 1.4 litre (2 and half pint) ovenproof dish and pour the Quorn sauce over the pasta. Sprinke with grated cheese and bake in the overn for 10 minutes until cheese is golden.
Serve with a green salad and or garlic bread. It is delicious :D

Netmums has some great recipes on their site too. Enjoy :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back