using a bottle for expressed milk

Fiona

Reaction score
Grace has only used a bottle a couple of times and it has not been a problem b ut today I was out all afternoon and her daddy was looking after her.

I had no problem expressing the milk and thankfully decided to check her out with the bottle before I left ....... she was having none of it.... spat the bottle out every time I put it in and then eventually just shut her mouth completley (it was actually quite amusing) .. she wasn't crying at all - just seemed quite determined that she wasn't going to have her milk from a bottle.
I then got my DH to try just incase she thought that as it was on tap with me she wasn't going to settle for a bottle - but she wouldn't take it from him either.
I then gave her a good feed before I went out and left them to it, thinking that perhaps when she was really hungary she would take it...... but oh no.. DH said she woke up, he tried the bottle, she shut her mouth, then gave him a look as if to say ' hey nice try daddy but no means no' and promptly went back to sleep until I came home when she had another good feed.
Although it is not a massive issue becuase I rarely leave Grace, I would like her to be happy to take my milk from a bottle - you never now when I might need to go somewhere without her .......
at the moment I use the tommie tippee back to nature ...
have you any ideas as to what I might be able to do ?

I have this problem and have spent a lot of money on different bottles. I don't think Finley will learn to suck from them now, so today I bought a beaker to try. The milk will pour out then so he doesn't have to suck it out. I hope it works!

We use the Tommee Tippee Closer to nature bottles. It took quite a bit of perseverance before she was taking it happily though.

Use a beaker hunny, I think what it is that they feel cheated that your giving them something like a nipple but its not from you :lol:

Olivia is great with a beaker I have a tommie tippie one :D

Ellie was happy with beaker from about 4months old. I am not sure she would have been happy with it at 2months though? :think:

you could always try cup feeding? My MW showed me at the hospital when alice was a day old.

ask your HV or find a local breastfeeding group. They should be able to show you how.

Brody did this too, I got the MAM teats which are flatter and feel a bit more like skin.
After that it's just perserverence, every night we would try him until eventually he'd take some, even just and oz or so.

Oli would take tommie tippie for awhile then all of a sudden she wouldnt, so using a cup was the only way she would.

Tho saying that now she wont have bf from anything now other than my boobs :lol:

when I was in hosp Dylan drank out a cup like a medicine tot.They said it reduces the chance of him getting confused between breast and bottle. You may find that easier than a cup at this age.
I am planning to try the back to nature bottle next week so may be looking for the same advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back