Upset - early scan

TORino

Reaction score
I don't want to scaremonger or anything like that, but I'm going to update on my early scan I had yesterday.

I wasn't massively worried despite bleeding very slightly a while ago. I still feel pregnant so was trying to put my confidence in that.

The sonographer couldn't get a good picture through my abdomen so I had the vaginal scan. She said she couldnt see it very well because my bladder wasnt empty. This is the only piece of hope i am clinging to at the minute.
My dates put me at almost 8 weeks so as soon as she never mentioned a strong heartbeat I knew it wasn't good. The baby was there in front of us, I think she said it was the right size but the heart wasn't beating as she would have expected by now. she kept moving the scan thing and losing the picture. She said the heart was beating but it was slow and intermittent.

She annoyed me really because she sat on the fence about the whole thing and wasn't straight with me from the off. I'd much rather know the chances and she never said anything until I really quizzed her about it. She said when I asked that she doesn't normally see positive outcomes from these scenarios and I should prepare myself for a miscarriage.

I have to go back in 2 weeks time and be scanned again.

I am beside myself, hence posting at this time. I haven't slept a wink and I'm expecting to see blood every time I go to the toilet. I have questioned things over and over in my mind and I want to believe she has got it wrong or something but I know that's unlikely. I now have to wait for 2 weeks wondering if my baby has died and if I am going to pass it.

I hope non of you have to experience this and wish everyone a healthy pregnancy xxx

Last edited:
Hello hunny I'm so sorry uve had a bad experience :( I do hope on ur next scan u get the good news u want. X

Im so sorry you are going through this sweetie, massive hugs. I am hoping and praying that you get some good news in two weeks time. I cant imagine what you must be going through now, take care of yourself hunny and rest as much as you can. Thinking of you x x

She should have asked you to go empty your bladder? Was it a private scan or a NHS one? I would go back TBH, you can't be in limbo for 2 weeks :( Thats not fair on you xx Thinking of you x

So sorry to hear this. I agree with Rosa, I know when i had my MMC doctor told me it was policy to scan again in 10 days, 2 weeks seems long to wait.

I hope they have made a mistake and everything is ok. xxxxx

Rósa;1869595 said:
She should have asked you to go empty your bladder? Was it a private scan or a NHS one? I would go back TBH, you can't be in limbo for 2 weeks :( Thats not fair on you xx Thinking of you x

She asked me to empty my bladder after the abdominal one but I didn't manage to empty it full and she was poking around in there struggling to get a better picture.

She tried to show me the picture but then she said it had disappeared.

She has also taken my notes off me.

I want to know if this is going to go bad. I can't live like this for 2 weeks. I still feel sick and the need to pee all the time and my boobs still hurt.

I am searching for an explanation about it all but I am probably clutching at straws in my desperate state.

She clearly said there is rarely a positive outcome from this scenario when I put her on the spot. She had a student with her too which wasn't nice, but I guess they have to get used to giving these message etc.

I am truly devastated about this and feel completely helpless. If I could pay for another scan privately I would but I don't think I can get one round here.

Hello TORino,

Reading this this morning my heart really goes out to you... Keep thinking positive and have faith. I hope everything works out for you

G x

Hi. Im so sorry this is happening, it sounds like they were very unprofessional. I would definitely go back or speak to your Dr and explain as thats not really acceptable. Also, you can ask that they do NOT have a student in the room with them, they are supposed to ask your permission first, they did with my minor operations. :( Hugs.

Poor you, I'm so sorry your going through this, I can't imagine how your feeling, I'm at about the same stage as you just now, it's so scary. Might be worth trying to get another scan so things are not dragged out for another 2 weeks of hell, it won't help you or your bean if things are ok and she just couldn't see things properly. Google private scans, you might find somewhere not too far away, at least you will know more then x

I'm really sorry, you should complain, she should have been far more sympathetic towards you and explained properly. I know she said it's rare to have a positive outcome but it rare isn't impossible. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and I really hope you get good news!! :hugs:

:hug: Aw hun I can't imagine how you must be feeling, but I would put a complaint in and see about getting a prvate scan done. I know they can be costly, but It's worth knowing, and much better for you and baba if you're not stressing for the next two weeks xx Hope everything is ok chick, will be thinking of you xx

hi TORino send big hugs to u. Im having a similar experence to u just been scan 2 hrs ago as having some pain which i thought was from SPD. thought i would speed up the referal process to mat physio by speaking to the early pregnancy unit where i work. the scaned me and by my dates i should b nearly 6 weeks scan show and 4 and a half week pregnancy. I have to go back next fri to make sure the pregnancy has progressed.

keeping my fingers crossed for both of us xxxxx

Hey. So sorry you're going through this. I would definitely try to get scanned earlier. I had to wait a week for my second scan and would hate to think what I would have been like had I been made wait longer. Stress isn't good for wee bean at best of times so should be minimised as much as possible. Thinking of you. xx

sorry uv had to go through this, a few days makes all the difference in pregnancy as things develpo that quickly. im sure they could re scan at 5 or 7 days and that would put your mind at rest. at least they saw a baby with a heartbeat, probably just needs a few more days to get stronger and faster. thinking of you x

Oh my god what a nightmare, have you been to your GP, can they not refer you for another scan?
How are you supposed to wait 2 weeks? I hope everything turns out ok for you both.

I have no idea how I am supposed to wait 2 weeks. This is really affecting my mental state. I can't stop analysing every little twinge and when I go to the toilet I am expecting blood.

My body is still pregnant but my mind is trying to come to terms with it not probably materialising into a baby.

This is truly the most awful thing I have ever had to experience. I have moved absolutely everything in my house relating to my pregnancy. Literally everything. I can't even bear to think about it.

I am going to log off from this site now for a while because I just can't bring myself to be on here at the minute.

I would like to thank all of you for your support. xx

I am so so sorry to hear this hon I can't imagine how you must be feeling. I agree with the other girls go back to see your GP and tell him how much this is effecting you, they shouldn't expect you to wait 2 weeks before scanning you again. In the meantime I have absolutely everything crossed for you that you get a positive outcome, take care hon and you know we are all here to support you if you need us x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back