• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Toxic baby bottles

missjennipenni

Reaction score
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 91,00.html

Parents who put warm milk in plastic baby bottles could be exposing their children to dangerous pollutants, scientists warn.
A study has shown that a toxin leaks from plastic bottles when they are heated or filled with hot liquids.

Bisphenol A has been linked to fertility problems, diabetes, breast cancer, hyperactivity and early puberty in girls. Babies are thought to be particularly vulnerable to its effects.

It is one of the most common 'gender-bender' chemicals in the home and is found in food containers, water bottles and the lining of food cans.

The US findings will concern parents who submerge plastic bottles in hot water, mix infant formula with hot water and boil or steam bottles to sterilise them.

Though it does say at the bottom that they dont think the levels are harmfull, its still a bit scary

I did wonder why glass baby bottles existed. That makes sense now. Cling film apparently leaves harmful chemicals on things too. But again in such small doses that they don't usually have effect. Or that's what I've heard, anyway.

they just said that on some bottles when they were hot they gave off toxic chemicals but the research was in america and in this country they said they were doing more tests so i guess it will be on the news again soon

It seems as though BPA is now banned across the EU. The issue was when the bottles were heated small amounts of the BPA compound could leech out into the fluid.

They're still not sure if it has any effect on humans but it has been proven to harm animals.

Glass bottles are still around but they can smash easilyon hard tiles floors, causing a hazard to you and your little one. We stick with plastic but look for the BPA Free logo for reassurance.

Stu

we use BPA free also :)

the issue is not neccessarly with a large amount of a substance being released at once, but more the build up over time of a none harmful amount which can become harmful :)

Oh joy! Something else to worry about............. Can anyone tell me a make of a BPA free one?

wow that's a bit scary. Even more encouragement to breastfeed!

Wow even though the risk is small, its still scary! Just been and checked the bottles we have for when I express & thankfully they are all BPA free :)

Yeh its not just bottles but sippy cups and the freezer tubs used when weening, so even if brestfeeding you have to look out for the BPA free symbol, most of them are now because its banned in the EU i think but i always make doubley sure lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back