To all the knitters

I have a book that I bought called conveniently 'start knitting' by Betty Barnden.

I learned to knit from scratch with this book and its very helpful. It take you right through from casting on the simple stitches and one of the projects is a scarf.

Best of luck to you, its a fab hobby and very theraputic. It also stops me snacking. :lol:

you tube is my saviour when i get stuck.
the books help but seeing someone do it on screen helps me a bit too.
xx

Thanks that was quick! Did you two pick it up easily, I mean to move on from a scarf to say a jumper or blanket, is that hard? I've heard you tube is good, I've ordered my needles of EBAY so I'll be able to give it a go by the end of the week

I like the idea of stopping me snacking!

'Stitch and Bitch' is a fantastic modern learn to knit manual that starts from the very basics and has some cool patterns in, including the baby blanket I started with when I was expecting Stanley.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stitch-Bitch-Ha ... 413&sr=8-1

I also agree that youtube is a great resource for specfic technique. Knitting is a fab hobby, very calming and therapeutic. It stops me killing people :wink: :lol:

i wouldnt mind giving it a go, but i've no idea where to start? what do i need? just needles/wool?

I found it easy to pick it up initially but then once things started getting more difficult I struggled a bit. I hated if I dropped a stitch or anything and had to rip a few rows out. I have only ever knitted scarfs and a few hats.

The main problem for me that past few years has been time, but the kids are 4 & 2 and I am finding myself with more time and because Im getting proper sleep now things like the knitting and other things I done a lot of before babies, I am able to do.

Im the book I mentioned there is a lovely pattern for a baby blanket that is quite easy as it is knitted in sections and give you a practice at a few different patterns

clairescunny55 said:
i wouldnt mind giving it a go, but i've no idea where to start? what do i need? just needles/wool?

Yup. Although there are certain sizes of needles that match better to certain 'weights' of wool, dependng on what you want to knit. Going a bit chunkier is sometimes recommended for beginners as your knitting will grow quicker! It is an exercise in patience.

I'm well into it at the moment and will answer any questions :)

clairescunny55 said:

All you need to start and practice is a good book / internet, some needles (size 4 is probably your best bet) and some double knitting wool. And patience (which is something im short of :lol: )

If there is a wool shop nearby they should be able to help recommend a wool that would be easy for you.

ejjie said:
Thanks that was quick! Did you two pick it up easily, I mean to move on from a scarf to say a jumper or blanket, is that hard? I've heard you tube is good, I've ordered my needles of EBAY so I'll be able to give it a go by the end of the week

I'm lazy and actually started crocheting instead, it was just easier for me.
I'm not brave enough to move up to jumpers and stuff yet though, its still easier to ask my nanna to do them lol.
xx

Jaded Diamond said:
ejjie said:

I'm lazy and actually started crocheting instead, it was just easier for me.
I'm not brave enough to move up to jumpers and stuff yet though, its still easier to ask my nanna to do them lol.
xx

Thats some thing I have never been able to do. It looks lovely though.

i've just started to knit a cardigan for amelia.
my mum and my grandma have been knitting for as long as i can remember

i have a baby pattern book called Sirdar called First Steps (booklet number 292) and it starts you off with a basic hat that is just a basic square in basic stitch.

i found it brilliant for progressing. some of the colours of the wool aren't available anymore, but you can choose whatever colour in the sirdar wool you want.

ill have to post a pic of it when i've finished :D

Thanks for your help everybody. I'll let you know how I'm getting on when I get the book through and my needles - woohoo

I've just started knitting as well :) Could do it as a child but gave up so am re learning!

I have no patience though :lol:

Am going in to town now to get a bigger guage of needles and some more wool - am making everyone in the family scarfs - patterns hurt my head :rotfl:

I learned to knit from my mum and I think that watching someone do it rather than looking at pictures was helpful. There are loads of videos on youtube and elsewhere on the internet that will show you step by step what to do.

If you want to make something for the baby then a blanket would be easy enough. I would suggest using chunky wool and big needles at first, just because your work grows a lot quicker and it's nice and encouraging when you're just starting out :D

Good luck with it :cheer:

ejjie said:
Thanks for your help everybody. I'll let you know how I'm getting on when I get the book through and my needles - woohoo

Well?? Cmon, how is it going??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back