Telling my boss today! Eeeeeeeeeeeek, advice?

clucky77

Reaction score
Right, I am NOT to say 'I'm sorry', I know this

But.... I found out I was pregnant the week I started the job, so I do kinda feel I want her to know that so she doesn't do the calculations and think I was preg before I started.

Not sure about wording, should I say ' I have some news, I'm pregnant' .
Not sure how to introduce it???

Then I wanted to say 'I found out the weekend I started here, and that's why I've been so sick for the last few months'

Or do you feel that it will sound like I am trying to defend my position?

Alternatively, I could just say 'I have some news, I am pregnant, I am sue 30th May'... but we have a good working and personal relationship so think she might find that a little too 'professional'

Nervous!

I've just been through this - however, I was 8.5 weeks pregnant when I started my new job - didn't know I was up the duff when I interviewed for or accepted the job, but obviously did when I started - read my story and how I dealt with things (and my boss's reaction!) here and here.

Good luck, I know how scary it is. It may also be worth saying that you understand you are not entitled to maternity pay/leave (if I've understood your situation correctly - you need to be something like 25 weeks pregnant by the time you've been there 26 weeks or something - check out your rights here), but love you new job and would love your job back after you've taken some time out, this is what I did and I'm hopeful they like me enough to keep me on and will take me back in 2010.

I'll be thinking of you, let us know how you get on.

Valentine Xxx

Thanks! That's a really good point about wanting to have the job back.
I am in arguements with HR atm and may need a lawyer as I am meant to get maternity leave as went from one college to another which are both under the continuous service of University of Londons.... but the HEAD of HR said that was an old policy (even thought it says Feb 2008 and it's still the current one on line and in our contract package....) Will not be nice if I need to get lawyers involved.

How did it go? I hope your boss was ok about it and you can sort something out for your maternity leave/pay.

She was lovely. Fine about it. Phew.

Still jsut waiting to hear from HR re maternity leave. It's giving me the shits as we have had an offer accepted on a house which we probably can't buy if I don't get M leave. I jsut can't get an answer from HR and I am speaking to the Head. Not really surw what to do next....

If you cant get SMP you may be entitled to Maternity Allowance? Have you heard about that? I'm going back to work part time and will only earn £100 a week so I think I will have to claim MA x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back