• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tax credits petition..

Baileysmummy

Reaction score
I signed a petition this guy was doing.. this was his talk to the prime minister...

Details of petiton:

"I am a married man with 2 children. My wife stays at home and cares for the home and children. This is her employment. Thus we have a single family income for which only one single persons tax allowance is provided. In other households (with or without children) where there is an equal gross income but from more than one individual, the taxation is far more favourable in that each individual will receive the personal tax allowance. In addition to this the total household income may be greater than the high rate tax threshold, but because each individual is under the threshold, the household also benefits from lower taxation on the remaining amount. This is a totally unfair taxation position and penelises myself and my family for maintaining 'grass roots' values. I petition for a fairer taxation system that does not penialise families (married or otherwise) where one person remains in the home to bring up young children."

the prime ministers response!
Thank you for your e-petition.

The Government is committed to the principle of independent taxation and to addressing child poverty.

Transferable allowances would not benefit children where neither partner has enough income to pay tax or where there is only one parent bringing up the children alone. If a tax allowance for married couples were to be reinstated, it would exclude, for example, widows with children and wives who have been deserted and left to bring up children alone.

Instead the Government has focused on providing more - not less - help to families at the time they need it most, when they have their children and when their children are growing up. This support has been provided through Child Benefit, which will rise to £20 for the first child by 2010, and the Child Tax Credit, helping to lift 600,000 children out of poverty. As a result of the Government's reforms to the personal tax and benefit system, by 2009:

Families with children will be, on average, £1,800 a year better off in real terms:
Families with children in the poorest fifth of the population will be, on average, £4,000 a year better off in real terms.
:cheer:

Im not sure I understand that (my vocabulary doesn't extend as far as some of them words haha :lol: ) is it basically asking for the PM to give families with one income tax credits based on two incomes? :think:

I don't get it either but I thought the system was pretty fair anyway. If anything I think households were both parents bring in a wage, they get the worst end of the deal. And this grass roots values, what does that mean?

I signed this petition too aaaaaaaaaaaaages ago, and received an email yesterday too :)

It p*sses me off how you are penalized for maintaining traditional family values :x

Rant over ***happy happy joy joy*** :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back