• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stuck in a rut with same old teas-ideas please!

katie05

Reaction score
Hi ladies, just wondering what your family favourite teas are as im looking for some new ideas. Every couple of weeks we seem to have the following following:
shepherds pie
spaghetti bolognase
sweet and sour pork
Beef/chiken dinner
pizza/pasta etc.
chicken curry

Look forward to getting some ideas from you ladies :D

We're exactly the same! I'm always trying to think of new meal ideas but end up reverting back to the same old stuff! Our dinners are pretty much the same as yours, all I can think of that is different is

Lasagne, Garlic Bread and salad
Chicken in a "chicken tonight" sauce (I do want to learn to make my own sauces) with rice or pasta
Gammon
pork chops

Also I make a dish which is onions, bacon, green and red peppers mushrooms all cooked together in olive oil, then we add creme fraishe and cheese and serve with pasta. Its so tasty but not that good for you with the cheese and creme fraishe. :?

I tend to do a lot of "make it up as I go along" dishes!

I did chicken stuffed with chorizo and feta wrapped in bacon the other night which went down well.
We also do chilli, curry, lasagne, Homemade Soup, Salads, Stirfry.

Thai green curry, Chilli (I don't have either of those but I make and freeze for OH)...

Vegetable lasagne (layers of ratatouille/veg mash etc with pasta sheets in between instead of using mince meat) - even if you're not a veggie it just feels so healthy and makes a change :)

Tomato and Bacon pasta is a big favourite too.. using this recipe but ignoring scallions, whatever they are... I use bacon bits, or if I don't have any I'll cut normal bacon into thin strips. Can also chuck in chicken pieces too :)

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1935,144 ... 99,00.html

Also something as simple as pasta and pesto (green or red) and a chicken breast... either chopped on top, or lumped on the plate as it is.

Chicken and bacon melt... put a slit down the chicken fillet to make a pocket... fill it with grated cheese... wrap with bacon. Stick in a tray with a bit of water, cover with foil, and oven cook for about half an hour or until the chicken isn't pink. If you overdo it it will taste quite dry so after 20 minutes keep checking it :D

others we have are

omelette and salad
cauliflower & broccoli bake (with cheese sauce!)
Chicken/veg Wraps with salad
Tuna pasta bake
Sausage casserole
Corned beef hash

Seans a veggie so he has veggie options

Cor we have loads of different things

Moussaka is always good. Minced lamb dish and easy enough to make. Freezes well also.

Chicken in fresh tomatoes served with rice and green beans.

Lemon and garlic chicken (again with rice and greeen veg)

Chicken in a pesto creme fraiche with chopped grapes (cold dish). Served with brown rice and salad.

Salmon en Croûte with veggies (easy to make)

Honeyed diced pork with rice (uses fresh toms, red and yellow peppers, green beans and mushrooms in the recipe)

Grilled turkey steaks done in a marinade (lower in fat, higher in protein and cheaper than chicken)

Fish dishes - grilled tuna steaks in a marinade, grilled served with salad and crusty bread, fish pie, salmon in lemon cream sauce.

Also loads of veggies dishes. I love spinach lasagne, pesto and goats cheese pasta with chunky tomato and veggie sauce, pasta and fresh pesto with grated parmesan, veggie home made pizza with a scone base.

Ginger prawns and stir fry

Lamb burgers with mint dressing

Loads of other things. I'm forever trying out new things :) We tend to have at least 3 non meat meals a week. I get bored of meat otherwise and also non meat works out cheaper and also makes for a different taste.

Erm some of the above meals/recipes are of my own making so no official recipes exists for them that I know of. Or I've tweaked standard recipes and given them a twist.

Sherlock ill be round for dinner in an hour :dance:

I'm a very fussy eater. But my OH makes a brilliant stir-fry. Put a can of Baked Beans in it with some Fajita or Enchilada powder. It sounds very strange and took me ages to try it, but i love it now.

Sorry I don't have anything else to add to the above but wanted to say that Scallions are sping onions (its an Irish thing).

Ohh thanks ladies, some yummy ideas. Im going to try some this week. :D Im also the only vege in the house so have to cook 2 meals usually as well.

Forgot to add, sherlock you sound like a great cook. Do you have a recipe for the salmon el croute as my hubby loves salmon. Also, pesto has been mention alot, do you use that mainly for pasta?

You lot have put me to shame with my basic cookiing lol :oops:

Pesto is like a stir-in, and yeah it goes mostly on pasta but sometimes I smear it over chicken too... adds a bit of flavour :) The dolmio stir-in's are pretty good too.

Pesto is like a stir-in, and yeah it goes mostly on pasta but sometimes I smear it over chicken too... adds a bit of flavour The dolmio stir-in's are pretty good too.

Thank you :hug: just had a look at the link you put above too and some lovely things on there too. Ta very much. :)

No worries :) the things I have seen on there have been nice, but quite simple so that's good. The bbc also have a cooking site I think, I got a chilli recipe off there once and it was pretty easy.

katie05 said:
Forgot to add, sherlock you sound like a great cook. Do you have a recipe for the salmon el croute as my hubby loves salmon. Also, pesto has been mention alot, do you use that mainly for pasta?

You lot have put me to shame with my basic cookiing lol :oops:

My salmon en croute is AMAZING!

Here's the recipe...

1) Go to Marks and Spencers
2) Get one empty basket
3) Add a box of 2 salmon en croute
4) Bung in oven
5) Serve and pretend it's homemade

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.