• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Spitting out food off spoon

happy-chick

Reaction score
Ellie is still spitting/spraying out anything shes given on a spoon, this has been going on 2-3 months but the past couple of weeks have become a nightmare and at the moment she wont eat any food off a spoon (even her favourites) and just spits it back out. I think its become habit for her, shes that used to it that she automatically blows as soon as the spoon goes in her mouth but I dont know how to break this habit. We've tried allsorts... distraction, tempting her with her favouries, different foods, different consistancies, different temperatues.... still no luck :( its really frustrating!

She will eat finger foods no problem, she chews & swallows fine so we've been giving her mainly stuff she can feed herself but she doesnt tend to eat as much as when its off a spoon & is therefore feeding more from the breast cos shes still hungry.... has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to get her to eat properly again or should we just go down the BLW route and keep trying her with spoon foods?

Thanks, any advice appreciated :)

I'd be inclined to just give her the spoon and wait for the mess to be honest. Get a biiiiiiiiiig floor mat and clingfilm your walls! :rotfl:

maybe just give her lots of finger foods instead - and let her snack on bits of fruit/breadsticks in between meals too?

have you tried letting her have a spoon as well as you?

:hug: :hug:

Hay hunni,

I don't have any advice but just wanted to say Kayleigh has started to do this too (she is like Ellies little 3 months behind shadow lol) but she only does it when she isn't really interested in what i'm trying to give her. For instance, if i'm trying to give her carrots or this pasta thing (those hipp organic jars) and she doesn't really want it, I will then try her with fromage frai or pureed fruit and there is no spitting.....Well it's not really spitting it's blowing rasberrys, little monkey!

I was gonna say give her the spoon but someone else had already suggested it. Maybe you have a spoon each and you can try and sneak a spoon full in here and there?!? xx

Yeh we've tried letting her feed herself with the spoon but even when she puts it in her own mouth she spits is out :wall: :wall: :wall: she can get the spoon in no probs and I dont mind some mess but it doesnt seem to make much difference tbh :? Ive been giving her fruit etc through the day really frequently and she seems to be ok with that, i'm running out of food ideas though!!

Do you always use the same spoon? Maybe a really silly idea but you could try changing the spoon. It might distract her. When my LO did this, I swapped her weaning spoon for a normal teaspoon which felt different in her mouth and she took the food in without spitting out.

I'd let her have the spoon and feed herself, even if it gets messy. Then have a spoon also and inbetween pop mouthfuls in to make sure she is eating. Let her get involved and feed herself.

Yeh we've tried letting her feed herself, also tried loads of different spoons too :? She did this with bottles and wouldnt take a bottle until SHE was ready, shes a stubborn little madam who defo knows her mind! Dunno where she gets that from :angel: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back