Spell Checker option?

NickS

Reaction score
As a dyslexic poster who also runs forums, i was just wondering if the mods here could put in the Spell Check option?

Even when i do short posts i have to read them two or three times to make sure theres nothing to painful on the eyes, so you know looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong posts will be a pain in the butt.

That and i think some others on here could well and truly benefit from the option as well... 8)

My spellings fine thank you very much boyfiend :talkhand:

I am not dyslexic, but I am hopeless at times and either make terrible typos or spelling errors - on big posts, I usually cut and paste my response into Word to check it and then paste it back into the browser.

Did you know you can also buy some software (maybe even be a free/shareware version) that reads and/or spellchecks text that you write in any programme or browser. I'll go see if I can find some, I know Read and Write gold exists - but that is MEGA expensive!

**********update*****************

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

If you install the new firefox browser (free alternative to Internet Explorer) it has a free built in spellchecker option so you can spellcheck everything you type online.

I Could be lazy and just do my posts in the Word then press "spell check" but i dont use Word (huzzah for SUN .docs).

But i dont want to be lazy.
ok, so pressing "spell check" on here would be Just as lazy i know but theres some really terrible spelling out there in the internet and it melts my brain everytime i see txttlk or just plain lazy typing :lol:

NickS said:
I Could be lazy and just do my posts in the Word then press "spell check" but i dont use Word (huzzah for SUN .docs).

But i dont want to be lazy.
ok, so pressing "spell check" on here would be Just as lazy i know but theres some really terrible spelling out there in the internet and it melts my brain everytime i see txttlk or just plain lazy typing :lol:

I just edited my post above - it looks like a good lazy solution!! :cheer:

I just installed and tired the Firefox browser and spell checker! It is excellent, works like a charm! I may use this all the time now!

I would like to try the spell checker you have mentioned Happybunny
as im one of the OFFENDING bad spellers
im not dsylexic but have poor eye sight got glasses to late and learnt to spell through squinting at the spellings of the week on the school black board
learnt them incorrectly never been able to recorrect my habits
and i don't have all day to recorrect myself every word
sorry Nick if thats lazy

but my computer flashed up a sign saying this document could be thought of as a virus don't download programmes you do not trust.

did your's do the same??
don't want to take a chance do you think it would be ok to download

geordie lass said:
im not dsylexic but have poor eye sight got glasses to late and learnt to spell through squinting at the spellings of the week on the school black board
learnt them incorrectly never been able to recorrect my habits

Sounds much like me, barring the dyslexic bit.
Didn't get glasses til i was 16, by then all the years of damage had been done by sitting at the back of the class and never able to see the board (teacher wouldnt let us change seats, we had to sit where we were told in our school or be caned).

but my computer flashed up a sign saying this document could be thought of as a virus don't download programmes you do not trust.

did your's do the same??

Sounds like you're using Norton, that's a bugger for doing that.

Never had any problems with firefox or any of its add-ons, but i'm computer savvy enough to be able to accept the risk that when installing any software that it may in some way or other damage my computer.
Life's all about risks, more so with computers, but thats what the EULA's all about.

(EULA: End User License Agreement: the bit you tick "i've read and agree blah blah blah...")

I cant say as i've ever read the EULA, like any manual or book for stuff.
Except maybe instructions for lego toys..
:D

I use firefox and the spell check at home, really miss it at work :rotfl:

geordie lass said:
I would like to try the spell checker you have mentioned Happybunny

did your's do the same??

:wave: morning! I think Nick is right, probably Norton or some other virus protection - it is ok to accept the download though, Mozilla is a generally respectable, we haven't had any issues with it.

I also use firefox to check my spelling.

Hopefully we are heading for a massive forum overhaul soon, so probably won't be changing anything before then :)

Urchin said:
I also use firefox to check my spelling.

Hopefully we are heading for a massive forum overhaul soon, so probably won't be changing anything before then :)

oh no i hope we can still use it while it's being changed or i won't know what to do with myself!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol:

ETA:: i'm a lazy typer....... never use capitals where im supposed to...... or punctuation! lol is it annoying????? :think: :think:

Our Google toolbar has a spell checker on it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back