sometimes when i'm falling asleep or trying to wake up..

sarafet

Reaction score
i have ths strange thing happen to me, it's like i'm half asleep, but still awake really and i'm trying to wake myself up, like i have control of my thoughts, but can't move my body AT ALL. it's as if i'm paralysed or something, and when i try to talk it comes out all muffled, but in my head i'm trying to shout. a few times i've tried to wake john to tell him to help me :oops: but he can never hear me. i try my hardest to move, to kick john or something so he'll wake up, but i never can, then eventually i can pull myself out of it.

i've just read this back and it sounds absurd, but i'm just wondering if anyone else experiences things like this and what is it, it really freaks me out :(

Yep i've had this not often but its horrible when it happens :hug:

oh my god i thought i was just going off my head, thanks so much mm :hug:

i get this sometimes too, i think it feels kinda funky lol :oops: :lol:

I haven't had sleep paralysis for a long time but when I was suffering bad with anxiety I got it, just as you described. I remember 1 time it was really bad, My body felt as though it was turning into concrete from my toes and slowly moving up my body and I was trying to scream and move my arms but nothing was happening and it got to my chest and I felt as though I couldn't breathe and suddenly I was able to wake. I asked my ex if he could here me trying to scream and he said I hadn't made a sound :doh: It was very scary so I feel for you but it is ok :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Yeh I get this too, it is sooooo scarey!!!!!!

Some people have it and they kind of feel as of they start to fly. I just feel compleatly unable to move or talk and just try and try to break out of it but cant. You cant even open your eyes its so horrible. :hug: :hug: :hug:

It defo gets worse if your stressed out or really run down tired :hug:

I get this often and I've just had to learn to accept it. I always float up to the ceiling, and I can't get back down again. It's horrible.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

i'm still in disbelief that it's not just me going mad.

this is the reason i can't watch horror movies, bc when i'm sleeping it happens in the middle of the night and i can never get a proper sleep, i always feel like theres something in the room with me :(

the most commen one i get is that i'm being turned around and around in circles, i actually feel dizzy.

the worst one i ever had was when i thought my best friend had come into my room and was talking to me telling me all this stuff but i couldn't talk back, but she didn't seem to notice.. when i eventually got out of it i had to phone her bc i was convinced i was just speaking to her :lol: it was honestly sooo realistic.

i emailed OH and told him about it bc he always laughs at me when i tell him about them :rotfl: he said sorry for taking the p*ss :lol:

:lol: its easy to laugh when it's a distant memory but so scary at the time isn't it.

I remember being in bed asleep and I 'woke up' frozen, this man was peeping around the bedroom door then walked away down the landing and I could hear him wimpering. I then stopped being frozen slid off the bed and hid down the side calling my ex hubby on the phone (he was working nights) screaming and crying someone was in the house. He came back and I wouldn't get up till he had checked the whole house. It was horrible!! And because i'd never heard of this I really thought I was losing the plot, either that or I had some serious illness :(

:hug:

I think the main one I remember is getting caught under a huge wave lol I couldnt do anything it felt like I was suffocating!

The other one was being in a car and it span off road into a sign. Theres been others too but I never really had anything happen that I remember.

Are spinning dreams connected too then? I never knew that. I also get dreams when your being span and you just cant stop it in the dreams I always lay down to try and stop the spinning but It doesnt work till I wake up but I do feel really scared and dizzy I also get ones where you are moving too fast like going through the air and you know when your stomach does that turning thing you just are going way to fast to stop it feels horrible. I never realized these dreams werent normal. I knew the paralysis ones weren't.

nicki i think the spinning and 'out of body experience' ones are related, i don't think they are dreams though..

the spinning one happens to me when i can't move, it's like someones constantly turning me around and around till i can move again..

Ive had this and its bloody scary,mine is always in a room full of strangers and they have done something tome and im either laying on the floor or on a bed unable to move,like ive been drugged or something and when i try and screamcomes out like a long muffled moan :?

Jusr read the link above and funnily enough I used to suffer quite severly with panic attacks and this is when I used to have them ,havent had an attack in years thank god :pray:

maria1976 said:
I used to suffer quite severly with panic attacks:

me too!! glad to know others know how it feels, makes me feel better :hug:

i only get this if i fall asleep on the sofa not when i go to bed :think:

I used to get this when I lived on my own. It was absolutely terrifying!
It would feel like someone was pushing down on top of me & I couldnt breath. I would try to scream but the sound wouldnt come out.
The first few times it happend I honestly belivied I had a poltergiest & they were trying to kill me :oops:
It was only when I spoke to my mum about it she explained what it was. She's had this happen to her for years.

My mam says she used to get this all the time during her pregnancy with my younger brother. Especially during her afternoon nap.

I've not had this for a long time. Usually when it does happen I try to shout for the OH and wake up making whiny sounds ;) Funny now but scary at the time.

I have this too - I used to get it alot but only once recently and i was paralised and tried to turn over to wake me OH up but couldnt move my body, it was as if someone was sat on my chest and pinning me down and i could hear my heart beat really loud in my ears and a rushing blood sound too and woke up in such a panic - it was so scary!

I suffer from this and have done since I was little.
I don't get it very often and now I normally get it if I've had too much sleep.
I wasn't well last week and spent most of it asleep and had an episode of sleep paralysis then.
It is HORRIBLE. I completely panic as I often find it difficult to breathe. If my nose is blocked for instance, the paralysis won't let me open my mouth to breathe so I start panicking and can feel my heart racing.
It is awful and I sympathise with anyone who gets it.
Thought that BBC article was really interesting.
Lx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back