Sauce recipes?

Redshoes

Reaction score
Everything has blooming salt and/or sugar in it :wall:
I'm wanting to offer more sauces with Isaac's food, but everytime I look at any there's sodium again :shock: We were looking at toddler beans and stuff yesterday too, they have HUGE amounts of salt in them, I cannot understand why on earth they don't stop this with childrens food :x

Anyone got any from scratch sauce recipes?
All greatly appreciated :hug:
I'm not much of a cook unfortunately, but these LO's certainly get you busy experimenting in the kitchen don't they :lol:

This is a fantastic sauce and I absolutely love it! I add some salt to it, but, with babies you probably shouldnt.

So, you need 1 small pack of mushrooms, 1 small pack of saured cream, 1 small onion, half a cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of plain flour.

Chop onion, cut mushrooms. Put some olive oil on the frying pan, when it will be hot-put onions in, wait till they become golden brown, then add mushrooms, wait till they get softer and smaller, then add whole pack of soured cream. Get it on the low heat for 5 mins. Add some water (just a little bit), leave on the low heat for 5 mins, then mix the flour with milk, get the pan on the high heat, pour slowly flour and milk mixture (make sure there are no flour balls, it has to be really smooth) in the frying pan, stirring all the time. The sauce will get a bit thicker, but it shouldnt be too think, if you see it is getting too thinck, just quickly add some more milk.

Enjoy! Tastes the best with mashed potatoes (any potatoes really) and rice. Yummy! If you want, you can add some spices, like basil :hug:

PS: I do it with the cows milk. Can babies have cows milk at Isaac age? If not, then instead of cows milk mix flour with water and saured cream. :hug:

Hi Amy,

The only ones I have made so far are cheese sauce and tomato sauce.

Cheese sauce (from Annabel Karmel) - 15g (1/2oz) unsalted butter, 15g (1/2oz) plain flour, 200ml (7floz) milk (I use breast milk, but could use cows or formula), 40g (1 1/2oz) cheddar cheese grated (I use good quality organic). Melt the butter, stir in flour to smooth paste, cook 1 min. Gradually stir in milk, bring to boil and cook for a few minutes until thickened and smooth (I whisk it to get lumps out). Stir in grated cheese until melted. I serve this with cooked chicken and leeks fried in a tiny bit of butter for DD or also with baby pasta or macaroni pasta to make macaroni cheese.

Tomato sauce - Boil kettle, cross tomatoes with a knife, cover with boiling water in a boil - leave for 5 mins, then skin tomatoes - set aside. Fry up onions in tiny bit olive oil with some garlic, add chopped up skinned tomatoes then add in whatever veg you have in your fridge - I use things like mushrooms, brocolli, carrot batons, spinach, courgette, peppers, cherry toms (I don't bother skinning these), and loads more (the last one I made had 11 hidden veg and herbs!) various herbs and spices (oregano, coriander etc). I also add some good quality tomato puree. Leave to bubble away and reduce down - no lid. Whizz up or leave lumpy and add to pasta or pour over chicken/fish etc.

Have fun!

Valentine Xxx

Thankyou for the recipes ladies, I'm going to give them a go, I have actually found some sauces that aren't full of cr*p, they're Ella's Kitchen ones from Sainsbury's, don't know where else they sell them, but Isaac loves them :cheer:

Thankyou again, V I do actually have Annabel Karmel's book, I should really use it seeing as it was a tenner :lol:

I make a tomato sauce, really basic and we all eat it.

Get a pack of passatta or a tin of chopped tomatoes
half a chopped onion
handful of chopped mushrooms
Dried oregano, thyme, parsley
2 bay leaves (take out before serving)

Chuck it all in a pan and simmer for about 40 minutes.

I use this with with pasta, chicken, roasted veg (eg corgettes, aubergine, peppers), rice, fish, quorn

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back