• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rubbish doctor

missexpecting

Reaction score
I went to the doctors as I used a pregnancy kit and got a positive result. He was absolutely useless. He said that they went on the home pregnancy tests now as they are reliable and that i needed to fill out some forms in reception. When I asked at reception she laughed and said the doctor was temporary and i needed an appointment with the mid wife. I was really looking forward to some good advice, instead i thoroughly wasted my time, so I am feeling very down in the dumps. Will I feel happier after seeing the mid wife or shall i consider going private? :(

To be fair your dr is absolutely right - home tests are now very reliable. I had to book my appt with my MW myself as well - I got the details from the receptionist at the drs and took it from there. Not much happens for the first 12 weeks unless it's a high risk pregnancy, ie you have a history PCOS etc. I think I had a 10 week booking-in appt with my MW where she just asked lots of questions and then had a scan at 12 weeks to confirm the pregnancy and due dates. It does differ according to whereabouts in the country you are though.

I went to the doctors when i first found out I was PG and the doctor said 'well you must be pregnant if the pregnancy test said so, there is no point doing another one as the ones you can buy in shops are just as good as the ones we have here'.

I saw the midwife the week after, i was really excited and all we did was take blood pressure and fill in forms how boring!

Hiya :wave:

Things are different nowadays that the doctors don't seem so "hands on" as they used to be. With my first baby (17 years ago) my GP was really informative, helpful and interested. He did every ante natal check with the midwife in tow.

I'm sure once you go to your midwife appointment you'll feel more informed and will find it helpful. I had my booking in appointment at the hospital last week and it lasted 2 hours! :)

Good luck!

Sabrina
x

what happened to you sounds normal I am afraid! I rang my GP and asked what I needed to do, they made me an appt with a male doctor I had never met for 2 weeks later!

Then I got ill and had an emergency appointment, told my own GP what the receptionist had done and he frog marched me to front desk and had a go at her in front of me for giving me the wrong info.... made me an appt with a female doctor in a special "antenatal" clinic they run...

Was also a let down, filled in a couple of forms, measured and wieghed me and referred me to the MW. not sure what else I was excpecting, an inpromtu dance or fan fair may be :rotfl: Just got to remember I guess these people see pregnant people every day, it is not that exciting for them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatema53
Back