Rip or Cut

georgie1991

Reaction score
Ive been told from day one, tht it is better to tear when your giving birth than to be cut by the midwife.
but recently people have said its better to be cut.
what do u personally think its best to do, coz im really confused.

I think it depends on how badly the tear is likely to be. If they expect that there is likely to be a 3rd degree tear they are better off cutting so they can control where the cut goes.

For a 1st or 2nd you're probably better off just letting it happen naturally.

I was lucky and only had little 1st degree tears with both my kids that didn't need stitches. It didn't hurt when I tore as the area was stretched already, and they healed in a matter of days without much discomfort :D

Personally I'd rather tear than be cut because a tear is natural. You can be cut and then still tear on top of that which makes one big mess. When I had James the midwife was about to cut me but I tore just before she had chance :lol:

ive thought bout it myself, this will be my first baby, but the amount of pressure down there im better off tearing.
hopefully tho i will get a water birth like i planned, there's less chances of tearing with that isnt there?
im so useless, i shud know far more bout this than i actually do

all that bloody perenal massage i did - wasted on my c-section :lol:

charlotte_ said:
LOL.. i'm glad i stopped after trying it once having had the c section too!

For me, i was going to be cut away from the rectum but that was so it would less likely effect my crohns disease. Turned out the only cut i had was across my tummy! If i had been a totally healthy person i would have probably decided on tearing naturally rather than an episiotomy.

Claire x

charlotte_ said:
LOL.. i'm glad i stopped after trying it once having had the c section too!

For me, i was going to be cut away from the rectum but that was so it would less likely effect my crohns disease. Turned out the only cut i had was across my tummy! If i had been a totally healthy person i would have probably decided on tearing naturally rather than an episiotomy.

Claire x

wat is a perineal massage?
im a pro masseuse n ive never heard of it :shock: im completely out the loop i swear :lol:

im a professional masseuse n ive never heard of it :shock: im completely out the loop i swear :lol:

i was cut and i prefferd it as it was much easier to repair and much neater, x

jodie_honey said:
i was cut and i prefferd it as it was much easier to repair and much neater, x

I agree. I had a few small tears and grazes and I'm sure they hurt more when healing!

georgie1991 said:
im a professional masseuse n ive never heard of it :shock: im completely out the loop i swear :lol:

LOL.. i dont think you want to be charging for one!

i hope i dnt either, the thought of it isnt nice.
but thanks for all ur help girls :)

:hug: :hug:

i had a 2nd degree tear, i needed 2 stitches.

i did perineal massage, from 33 weeks, was a bit pissed off that i still tore after the precaution i took! but then i was told i was quite lucky for a first-timer, and especially when i found out my beby's head circ was 35cm which is above average! couldve been a lot worse hehee

i was cut, but that was so they could use the ventouse. would have preferred the choice to rip though!

As far as i know not many doctors, and esp MW will actually cut, unless absolutely necessary.
I had an episiotomy, because i had forceps delivery.
I'm sure it differs depending on hospital as well, but i'm sure most follow this rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back