Returning to work

Hope1111

Reaction score
Hi

So I had it confirmed yesterday I was miscarrying (6-7 weeks), the doctor at the hospital signed me off until Monday 22nd August. I'm bleeding, cramps, nausea but feel that I could return to work on Wed/Thu.
I've rang my boss this morning to tell him as I had been on bedrest from Tuesday this week so they didn't know what was happening and asked if I could return earlier as I'd like to (I feel I'll be fine and I'm best kept busy, I work 6 days a week so I'm bored), he responded by saying to ring HR tomorrow (they're not in as its Sunday), he asked me how I was which was nice but seemed like he couldn't wait to get me off the phone but then again there was a lot of background chatter so he probably couldn't talk. I've got an appointment on Friday and he said well theres no point really returning on Thursday if you've got an appointment on Friday, I think he's trying to sway me off the idea.
Does anyone know if you can return to work early if you've been signed off? and what are your experiences? xxx

Hey hun sorry for your loss. When you've been signed off by doctor it is possible to return to work earlier but you need to get your doctor to say that you are fit to return. Make sure you are really fit to go back. After my MC in January and subsequent d&c I thought I was ok but started to slide emotionally after a few days so had to sign off longer than I first thought.

Look after yourself. xx

I was off work for 2 weeks but i was bleeding for the whole time and the pain was horrible so i needed time off, dont go back until you feel 100% xxx

I agree, I had a medical management of an mmc at 11.5 wks on the thursday, went back to work monday and by wednesday was a physical and bit of an emotional wreck. I was able to work from home for the rest of the week but its hard to get signed off sick again if you've convinced them to let yo go back early. Is there anyway you can go stay with a friend, do something nice but relaxing for a couple of days. I really think you should take the time xxx

After MMC and D&C in Feb I went back for mornings only for a few weeks after 2 full days off as was going stir crazy on my own at home. This was a really good compromise as was very tired and could come home in the afternoon to sleep but didn't have loads of time to brood. GP can do a "partial" back to work cert to cover this (mine did).

Its very individual though, you must do what's right for you. Loads of people told me i was crazy for being back so early but it worked for me.

Hi

Thanks for all your comments, after I wrote this post I decided I wanted some fresh air so we went out for a walk around the town centre - bit adventurous really as I fell asleep in the car on the way back and ended up back in bed where I remained until the following morning.
Rang the HR manager and explained I did want come back earlier but think I underestimated how I was physically, needless to say she agreed! I do have quite a physically demanding job if we're busy.
I'm keeping myself busy reading my kindle!
Note to self:listen to doctor when he's signed you off.

Last edited:
I really know what you mean, I thought I would be fine 3 days after my mmc having been at home of the sofa for 3 days, but was exhausted once I got out the house. Glad you've taken the time, be a bit indulgent and I hope you've got some lovely reading on your kindle. Check in and let us know how you are doing! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back