• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Questions questions...

Hope81

Reaction score
We are doing better with weaning, doing a mix of everything usually a meal is some purées that she spoons feed herself (with a little help obviously) and some kind of finger food that she tries and drops and tastes and so on but not eating much of it (I think)

So though finger food is quite clear to me I am a little confused about purées progression?

They are suppose to be runny and smooth and then cream consistency and then with more texture and then with chunks in it and then only chunks and self feed right?

When do those things happen?? And how? when do you know how to advance to the next stage? Is it by months?

Today she was eating apple and pear purée and was gumming a pear (a little softened) she did ok with the finger food , she are some, gagged a little, spit out a little and then got too mushy and lost interest but she was keep gagging and coughing while eating the purée? First of all it was too runny and she hates too runny things as she can't efficiently spoon feed herself as they fall from the spoon and when I decided to try some to see why she is having troubles the purée has a lot of texture (my poor baby) and not quite chunks but enough go make me want to do chewing motions for example.
My mistake as probably I didn't purée it enough.
I got completely confused why she was gumming just fine the whole pear piece and coughing at the purée :roll:

So anyway that made me think that I have no idea when you introduce texture as apparently though she manages finger food purees is a whole different thing?

Also wondering if I should let her to it after all as she did manage to eat 1/2 of it though she eventually got upset because she was coughing and didn't want more or should put the rest of the bunch in the blender again and fix my mistake lol...

I found to start with W liked the Ella's pouches over what I made, so annoying then iv realised it was the texture.
Iv bought a tommee tippee blender that does purée, stage 1 and stage 2. So gradually can make it lumpier.
I think it's just trail and error.
But do make it nice and smooth. Some of her milk, or cool boiled water.
Iv noticed the lumpier things says from 7months plus. So I'm guessing its when your LO is comfortable with them.
I always just give W some finger food. Not that he always eats it. But it's offered.
How's she getting on?'xxx

We started off with mashed food only never did puree also always offered finger food with meals from the start, hes never had a problem with texture and lumps as hes had it from the start. we started at 5.5 months and took a good month form him to actually start eating properly, now he will eat almost anything and happy to feed himself

wouldnt worry to much about them not eating much at the start as it takes them a good while to get the hang of it, sounda like she wants to get on with it herself so maybe offer more finger food?

My HV advised lumps from 7 months. I puree everything until its smooth but i give him finger foods too. Tonight he had a piece of red, green and yellow pepper to suck on!

XX

Well it depends.
Practically you can give them from 6 m but the reality can be a little different.
Sown babies manage then from 4+ m some babies don't manage them until 7-8 m.
I suppose it all depends from your baby?
also different hv and different countries have different ideas...
In Greece they say 7-8 m.
In Norway they say 8-9 (in an official book they gave me though the hv said i can try from 7 m)
In uk I think they say 6 m.

Amelie actually managed some softer finger food at 17-18 weeks (not every time mostly because she is that lazy to pick it lol and prefers to play with it instead of eating it...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premhospital
Back