Pregnancy and Knee Problems

*CLAIREBEAR*

Reaction score
hi there! :wave:
i will be 10 weeks pregnant on monday and wondered if anyone else had got pregnant after having previous knee problems/surgerys.
i had a road traffic accident just over 3 years ago and injured my right knee pretty badly,2 surgerys later (the last one being in january 07,and being quite a big surgery-a patella realignment-3 ops in 1)
i wondered how your knees had held up carrying a baby afterwards?
i have built up the strength in my knee/thigh area the best i could after the surgery but was immobilsed for 3 months straight afterwards in a metal brace for the majority of this duration 24/07,so in this time i got athropy,(muscle wastage)
i did physio for several months to get the muscle tone back again and am still doing light exercises now to try and keep it strong but am a little worried how it will cope when i get bigger!

any input would be apprechiated!

Hiya

I have had knee pain in my right knee for about a year and went to the doctors to have it checked out, went for x rays etc.
They said I have some cartlidge that has come away and is floating around.
I was due to have an operation to have it removed and went for the pre-op etc and then the DAY BEFORE my op I found out I was pregnant!!!!! So I called them to tell and they would not do the operation at all as too risky etc.
So I have the same worries as to whether the pregnancy will aggravate it more.

hi F.T.M,
i don't know what is worse having the surgery before or after having bubs! :eek:
i guess the resting will be alot easier beforehand :lol: but if you have yours afterwards it will not be "undone" by your pregnancy?? :?
(unless you have more children!!)
im just worried that it starts to dislocate again with the added weight on it,and i end up having to have more surgerys done in the future. :(
it was soft tissue work i had done,luckily i do a sit down job at work so get to rest and elevate it plenty.
im going to mention it to the midwife when i see her in 2 1/2 weeks.
will they be able to do your cartlidge work by keyhole surgery??
if they do its a lot less invasive and you should be up and about in a week or so. :D
my first surgery was keyhole,but as there was alot to sort out inside had to have the second open surgery done also! :?
and it was all caused by a bloody cat!!! :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back