Pregnacare 'v' Folic Acid

HopesDreams

Reaction score
So I've heard time & again how mums to be need 400mg Folic acid daily. I'm registering with a gp next week (just moved) & then probably won't get an appt for 2 weeks after that. I'll be around 8 weeks then. When I'm out tomorrow should I pick up a 30 day course of Pregnacare & take those until my gp appt?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a multi-vitamin, you can just buy folic acid tablets, which are also much smaller and easier to take. It is very unlikely your GP will prescribe Folic acid for you anyway, and depending where you live, buying folic acid will be cheaper than a prescription anyway. Usually you only need a prescription of it if, like me, you need a high dose of it.

I would, as soon as i found out i was pregnant i started taking Folic Acid. I had Pregnacare at first but thought they were expensive so i went to asda and got some Centrum pregnancy tablets that do the same thing. They were 3 for £10 so will last me ages!

Thanks girls. I knew that gp wouldn't prescribe either/or, I just meant until he could advise, if that makes sense.

It depends on your diet, if you get your five a day and your diet is healthy and balanced, you shouldn't need a multi-vit, I take one because my allergies prevent me from having great diet. The folic acid alone, I was advised, should be enough for most ladies

Boots do the 400mg of folic acid tablets, anything higher than that is by prescription but you would only need higher than that if you have a high risk pregnancy i.e other health problems as well. This is what the pharmacist told me x

My midwife gave me loads of Pre natal vitamins

I was precsribed Folic Acid too plus cheaper as Maternity Exemption Card for presription :)

I took pregnacare as soon as I found out I was pregnant and I think it was probably a blessing with barely being able to eat throughout tri 1. My midwife told me ordinarily after tri 1 if all seemed well women can stop taking them if they want, but because of my lactose intolerance I have to keep taking them 'just in case' and it doesn't hurt to do so. They're always on offer anyway!
Just do what you feel is best, you know what you need and if you start to feel run down maybe go for a multivitamin one as perhaps the baby is stealing all of your nutrients.

Sarah7 - I was thinking of picking up Centrum Pregnancy or Pregnacare today. I've just started a week off after working 7 months straight. Just feeling run down.

Sarah7 - I was thinking of picking up Centrum Pregnancy or Pregnacare today. I've just started a week off after working 7 months straight. Just feeling run down.

Hope they make a difference for you if you go for them. I found that if I missed them for a day or 2 I really noticed it early on. I don't think it was all in my head anyway!
Get plenty of rest and I hope you get some energy back :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back