Piercings and giving birth?

vampire_dolly

Reaction score
Just wondering, do they make you take all your piercings out while giving birth? Or in a C section?

(I've never had a operation or anything so I wouldn't know!)

If you do have to there gonna be there a while I have a lott of piercings lol!

i have a few peircings and i didnt have to take mine out in labour.

although when i had a operation ages ago i had to take all jewlery off make up and nail varnish :?

If you have alot of piercings it would be advisable to either take the majority out before the birth, or exchange them for PTFE versions.

The main (albeit fairly small) risk is that should you require an emergency c-section and you have metal body jewellery it could cause burns if the eelctrocautery they use takes a short cut to your jewellery instead of the earthing pad they stick on you.

In an emergency situation every second counts and the last thing you want to be doing is fiddling about with rings and studs!

sunshinestars said:
i was made to take all mine out, even as a emergency section...

Yes, but...there are emergencies and emergencies, and...

If the jewellery proves very difficult to remove (a few of mine are a bit 'stuck' and I keep meaning to remove them now!) in an emergency, its far better to have PTFE versions of the jewellery in place as it won't really matter if they don't come out.

Apart from the risk of the jewellery somehow dropping into the wound during surgery, there really isn't a genuine medical reason why they ask you to remove your PTFE jewellery. Most Drs just do it out of habit.

Realistically your far more likely to get one the Drs earrings land in your c-section wound than something from your own body!

Check out female obstetricians over about 30, they always seem to wear pearls!

I kept all mine in while giving birth and was never asked to take them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back