PATERNITY LEAVE...help

becks20

Reaction score
My OH has gone in to work today and its 15weeks till my due date and hes asked for his 2weeks paternity leave, they have told him he can only have 1week paternity leave and he has to take the 2nd week as holiday????

Background on where he works:- hes an apprentice mechanic but as of June he is a full mechanic. And hes been there since he was 16 and hes now nearly 19.

Any help would be great thanks x

Last edited:
Does the fact that he's an apprentice mean that he's not classed as an employee? If that is the case I'm not sure what else he can do other than take it as holiday (my OH did for the second week but only because he'd then be off on full pay rather than reduced paternity pay) or ask if they'd be willing to give him a week's unpaid leave if you can afford it so he doesn't lose any holiday. There's a live help thing on the direct.gov website - on my phone so I can't get you a link but if you google paternity pay it should be one of the top results. Hope you manage to work something out :hug:

in my other half old job you could take 2 weeks but only one wk was on full pay and the other you had to see the job centre about them paying you and you only got summit like £100 a wk and with all the bills and i new baby we couldnt do it so he just put holidays in for the 2nd week. This i havent a clue what he will get as he has been at his new job two wks and will of olny been there 22wks when the baby is due so i dunno where we stand with this one.

paternity leave is if youve been there 26weeks or more i think. Im not sure if hes on a full contract or not as they change his wages all the time, basically because hes an apprentice they can take the piss but as of nxt month he should be getting AT least min wage which he isnt on atm but now im wondering if this is why they are only giving him 1 week but we dont even no if its going to be paid or not. Im gonna see if hes got a contract to look through to see what it says on that. if not then i guess he will only have the week off :S and ill have a newborn and a 4yr old to look after, (i had loads of help with my daughter as i lived with my mum but this time im gonna be thrown right in the deep end lol) x

Check the direct gov website, or speak to citizens advice. Hope it works out x

Just wanted to update this as my OH just told me im wring lol

He has been offered 1week holiday and NO paternity leave?! im trying to get him to go citizens advice but he dont seem intrested :S x

:( I hope you manage to work something out :hug:

my OH is going to use annual leave because the paternity leave they only have to pay you £115 (ish) per week which would mean his august pay slip would be very much smaller than usual!

Theyre alowing him to take 2 weeks leave with no notice if I go into labour. We're both trying not to use any leave before august so that he gets to be around loads christmas time and when we're adjusting to family life.

My OH isnt bothered about the pay as it would only be slightly less then what he gets atm. Hes going to ask in work tomorrow if hes entitled to the paternity leave and if they say no then he is going to go to citizens advice and ask them iv also got a number for the SPP aswell as they might beable to help. ill let you all no what happens x

Luckily my OH's employer has been really good with our pregnancy - they've already said they'll make sure he gets paid for the 2 weeks paternity leave and he won't use his hols :)

My OH has been told he can't have any paternity leave, apparently at his work place he would need to have worked there for over 2 years, now in december he will have worked there around 1year 11 1/2 months but it would be april before he has officially been there 2 years as for the first few months he was working there through an agency so wasn't working for the company

You only need to work for a company for 25weeks before the babys born to get parternity leave, have you spoken to citizens advice about it to make sure that his work are correct?

My OH has gone to work today and ask his "boss" if its 2weeks he should be getting off paternity and she said "oh ill have to find out" So hopefully by end of this week we will have an answer but in the mean time my OH is going to call SPP helpline and see what they say aswell :) x

will def check that out, hope u your OH gets his sorted

Thanks :) ill keep it updated on here anyways. I wonder how many people dont get paternity leave coz there work say they dont do it but they do?! x

Thank you to everyones help!! Hes sorted it out now his boss had to talk to someone who knew more about it and they have given him the 2 weeks on paternity pay and it can start as soon as im out of hospital :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back