Oh dear really need some advice!

mummynmummy2b

Reaction score
Well bit of a silly story but... about 4pm today I felt a bit soggy down there so trotted off for a wee, after i'd finished i thought i'd just give a little push to make sure no fluid escaping and to my suprise I then lost a reasonable amount of a kinda watery looking discharge. Had a bit of a flap and DH said to ring hospital just to check what to do (i've had a previous section so hospital need to be kept informed at all times!)

So i phoned hospital and they asked me to come in just to be checked out, at this point after losing no more fluid I started to doubt that my waters were leaking and presumed it was just discharge.

Anyway, we dropped DS off at my mums and went up to the hospital at 5pm, got taken to triage where they gave me 2 sample pots and asked me to do a urine sample then a fluid sample if anything else came out. finished my wee one then tried to do the other sample, nothing was leaking so I gave another push and on looking at the sample pot there was a very small amount of liquid in there, I'd say it just looked like weak urine, very light yellow in colour compared to my urine sample. Gave it to the midwife and she said she thought it was waters by the look of things. Went on CTG and all was fine etc.

Convinced the doc to let me come home, they wanted to keep me in due to previous section. But have been booked for induction on Tuesday!! I really dont want this, I havent lost any fluid since then, have had a pad on which is dry as a bone. Really not convinced it was my waters. Stupid thing is they wont get the results of my sample to say whether it is or isnt waters until 12 hours after im due to be induced and apparently they dont class the results as being reliable anyway! So will want to go ahead with induction!

What do I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really really dont want to be induced at 39 weeks if waters are still intact and baby is not ready. Just wanted this to be as natural as possible and feel like im opening myself up to a cascade of intervention. Can i refuse induction, would this be sensible??

Please someone help, driving myself barmy!!

of course you can refuse induction! i thought the test for your waters was like a dip stick test type thing?

yeah so did I, my auntie had suspected membrance rupture at 28 weeks and they did a VE and asked her to cough while they looked at her cervix to see if anything came out then they did a dip stick test.
I think that because im 38+4 weeks they are just going along the lines of 'oh well lets induce anyway'. When i asked the doc if I could wait to see if the sample came back to show it was fluid he said something about that sample just being to check for any infections. So it looks like they are going to induce me based on looking at a sample pot and it 'looking like its waters'

#Grrrrrr really wished i'd not gone in now!

I thought waters had a distinctive smell that was really different to urine......and why do the tests if they are going to induce you and if they are going to disregard the result anyway, seems like a bizarre way to do things. I'd refuse it if I were you, at least until after the test results - best to go into something like this armed with as much info as possible especially if results are going to be back so soon after, even if in their opinion the tests aren't accurate.

Do you have your own mw that you've been seeing, can you discuss with her??

Yeah i will probably ring my MW tomorrow, dont have much confidence in her though unfortunately!! Think i will go down the route of if i dont lose any fluid by tuesday I will refuse induction unless thet can say it was definately amniotic fluid.
xx

I'd be more worried about the fact that they didn't test to see if it was fluid because of the infection risk once your waters have gone. You can refuse induction but I'd make sure your waters are still intact first and go back and ask to be checked if you do suspect that you are leaking. If your pad is completely dry I wouldn't worry too much but keep an eye on it x

Cheers ladies! I completely agree with you, I wouldnt risk leaving it if I thought there was any chance my waters had gone. I know someone who lost a baby to Strep B a few years ago so just wouldnt risk it. I have been dry as a bone since that initial bit of fluid but am keeping an eye on things for now. I have phoned the hospital and told them my concerns, the midwife i spoke to was absolutely lovely and basically said to keep an eye on things today and ring the labour ward in the morning and tell them what i'd told her. She said she didnt think it sounded like it was my waters but they would probably still ask me to come in for an internal and general check over.

Sams mum - I was concerned that they didnt do a definitive test too! Just feel like they kinda thought 'oh well shes term so might as well induce' I think they'd have been a bit keener to establish whether it was waters or not if i'd been <37 weeks.

Just got a fear that if i go in tomorrow morning they will kidnap me and i wont be coming home again before baby is here.

Cor, i really feel for you Hun!
Its strange as to why there so keen to induce, when they always bang on about how inducement could result in a section if your baby and body are just not ready! - my consultant is constantly telling me this!!

If your pads dry, and continues to be dry, id refuse inducement 100%, they cant force you.. Your baby, your body. Unless there is a serious risk to both your healths ie, waters have infact gone, then id refuse.

Hope your ok xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back