Nuchal Scan???

mookie

Reaction score
When I was pregnant with my son in 2008 I wasn't offered this scan, just had standard 12 and 20 weeks, in which the fluid on the back of the neck was checked (I think) and all was ok

I'm currently 9weeks + 2 and my 12 week scan is the 17th march and I'm really not sure what to do!! I'm a worrier!! I've read some comments on PF, some people say the test was great, others say they worried more as they were high risk.
Even if my results where high risk, I don't think I would go through with the amnio (sp?) and I wouldn't abort.

I guess my questions are -
How do they do the test?
If I decided against the test, do they still check baby's neck in the scan as standard for problems or do they just ignore it?
Did the test make you feel better or worse?

Please help ladies!
I'm very confused and so is OH, I just want to do whats best.
Thank you xxxxx

Nuchal scan is your 12 wk scan.

I think its just a standard check they do. You get bloods done at that app and that tells you how high risk you are, then you decide amnio ect...

From my experience anyway might be different where you live.

I am having the nuchal scan with my dating scan, but I had to opt for the nuchal scan and sign consent forms for the bloods to be taken then. If you haven't opted for it then you'll probably just get a normal dating scan.

PS if I am high risk I won't have the amnio or cvs either, I just want a risk factor to prepare us.

Last edited:
we had our 12 week scan, and were asked if we wanted bloods taken, but we decided against it

when i had mine they said if i wanted it i had to sign, for the bloods and to give my permission to meassure the fluid at the back of the neck, and thats basicly all they did, i pressume if you dont sign they'll just give you a normal scan! they didnt do any indepth checking during my scan, just enough to make sure everything was developing normally for that stage! having the test probably didnt actually make any difference for me, but it has ment that they may have highlighted a link between my family history of prem births any why they happen prem, as my papp-a hormone was low (mw thinks it could be genetic, as theres so many prem births in my family) so im getting two extra scans :) i just think of them as extra times to see my baby!!! so i'd go for it, as it doesnt have any effect on the baby, is only you that has to suffer with the bloods being taken!!!
sorry its so long!!! x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back