Not sleeping as well, is this due to expressing

abcd1234

Reaction score
i've started expressing everyday after her morning feed to build up a supply for when i must leave her. I take 3oz out in the morning and have done for nearly a week now, my boobs feel even more full then usual and she's been feeding normally (more in the hot weather as would be expected) and the past few days i've been expressing a few oz's in the afternoon if my boobs are full.
we then feed her the original 3oz's on an evening to get her used to taking the bottle. she hasnt changed her day time routine but has gone from slleping through or getting up once to being up 3 times in the night. is my expressing causing this even though i've still got a lot of milk, or is she growing lots and needing more or something. she seems very content throughout the day and night and has always wanted to feed constantly whist awake.

im just aware that she didnt put on huge amounts of weight, she not following the curve but is gaining, and shes so happy BFing i dont want the HV saying i should forula feed especially as when i mentioned expressing she pretty much told me not to bother and give her formula whilst i'm away from her

i doubt its the expressing causing this hon - its probably down to both a growth spurt and the hot weather... connor's up at least 3 times in the night for a feed at the mo. if she's happy and content, then there aint any problems, save a lack of sleep on your part :wink:

It's probably a growth spurt. Do you have the breastfeeding chart or the combined one? Despite only having breastmilk DD goes down percentiles on the breastfeeding one but follows a curve on the combined one.

Do you give the bottle when she would normally take a full feed? Do you offer her the breast when she has finished the bottle. Every baby is different so it might be enough for her but my DD needed at least 5oz at that age.

The expressing wont be causing problems though :hug:

While I can't help you with the expressing, all I can say is that one minute it seems like they're in a routine, the next it's all different! The first few weeks are all over the place.

About your HV - she sounds daft. You're doing a great job and you know what's best for your LO :hug: .

kalia said:
Do you give the bottle when she would normally take a full feed? Do you offer her the breast when she has finished the bottle. Every baby is different so it might be enough for her but my DD needed at least 5oz at that age.

Yeah she has it straight ater a nap when she's very hungry, Dave or someone else gives her the bottle and then i offer her boob if she's ater more still. I'm pretty sure she would happily take at least 5oz but i cant express that much in one go yet, thats why i'm trying to store it up so much, god knows how much milk she'll go through in 4 hours of being left.

I feel a bit better now, i've done some research and as long as she's still happy and feeding well then i'm going to not owrry about her weight. I'm not sure what chart we've got tbh it doesnt say. Hopefull now the hot whether is easing off she'll sleep for a little bit longer, she was making it easy for me before, not i'm having the odd day time nap with her

In 4 hours she won't get through masses. Maybe a couple of feeds but not a huge amount of milk. If you are able to feed her before you go out and as soon as you come back chances are it'll only be one feed inbetween and not more than 5ozs if in the next few weeks. Whatever you leave can be thawed out quickly so it won't go to waste.

BF babies feed more often than formula as it digests easier for them.

If I went out I'd leave one feed of 5ozs for Galen and he'd be fine. As soon as I walked in if he needed more I popped him on my boob.

Sounds like you are doing great, its still pretty early days, it took several weeks for me and Eva to settle into a routine with expressing and feeding, and just when you think youve got it sussed LO changes the rules lol :roll:
Cant believe your HV said not to bother expressing! You could always get a couple of little cartons of formula for emergencies until you are able to build a reserve stock though if it means you can relax while your away from bubs - i did in the early days and didnt ever use them but it was nice to know OH had something for her if need be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back