Niamh Amelie Joan 19/12/08 *PICS*

millie15

Reaction score
Aha...after tempting you in with pics (I know you all love a baby pic :) )I'll try and keep this short and sweet but it's a bit of an epic! Scroll down to the bottom if you can't be bothered reading :rotfl:

On Tuesday night at about 8pm I was having fairly mild contractions. As the night went on they became stronger so I rang the birth centre who said I was fine to stay at home for now. :)
By 4am the contractions had become much stronger and were only 1 – 2 minutes apart so the birth centre said to go in. All systems go! :cheer: Or so I thought......
Called my Mum, who lives 120 miles away and she jumped in the car and did her best speedy gonzalez through the night. All to no avail. By the time I got to the birth centre contractions had slowed down to a painful but manageable degree. They sent me home. Unfortunately they had found my blood pressure to be a bit high whilst I was there so asked me to go in the following day even if contractions had not speeded up. :?
Well Wednesday brought nothing but disappointment – firstly my blood pressure had not gone down and I had protein in my urine so the birth centre told me I would have to deliver at the hospital after all. I was gutted. :cry: We all trudged over to the hospital so I could be rigged up to the CTG machine for half an hour. Even though I was having 4 contractions every 10 minutes I was only just 2cm dilated!! :doh: Off home we went....
By Wednesday evening the contractions had slowed down so much that I was beginning to wonder whether this baby had gone into hibernation for Christmas. By midnight they were so vague I managed to sleep for a few hours, which, little did I know was going to be well worth it as the epic was to continue... :sleep:
Fast forward through a painful Thursday, and by 10pm the tens machine was only just managing my pain. We sped off to the hospital once again, only this time I was screaming “I'm not coming home without a baby this time!!”. I barely remember the journey, but I did manage to control my pain by singing 'My Favourite Things' throughout each contraction, much to the amusement of OH and mum! :rotfl:
When we got to the hospital I was hoping to go to the midwife led unit, but BP was still too high and so I was transferred to the consultant unit as high risk. Once again strapped to the CTG machine I was begging to be set free telling the midwives “I feel like I'm in prison! Please let me on the ball!”. They did eventually, for half an hour.
After discovering I was only 3cm dilated, the midwife decided to break my waters to try and speed things up a bit. Unfortunately, the waters were stained with meconium so the obstetric team decided that they needed to induce me with a Syntocin drip. For this they recommended an epidural as it would bring on contractions thick and fast. My dreams of a calm, controlled labour were slipping away rapidly. After the epidural was administered, several hours went past uneventfully as I waited to dilate. :wall:
In the early hours of the morning I was ready to push, but a rather dippy midwife had not topped up my epidural so all of a sudden I was in full blown labour pain and having to push. In agony, I tried my best for nearly 2 hours. The baby's head was not descending down the birth canal very quickly as apparently my contractions were not strong enough (how much of a wimp did I feel for making such a fuss! :oops: :oops: ) and when the team found a second bout of meconium they decided they needed to do a ventouse delivery. For this they topped up my epidural to the max and I had to have a complete perineal episiotomy. Determined to get her out finally, they attached the ventouse and I gave two final mammoth pushes, which resulted in a second degree tear. At 9.41am I felt this huge relief of release from my body and a 7lb 9oz baby girl flopped onto my tummy. :cheer: It quite literally took my breath away. There is no feeling in the world quite like it. As she lay squirming and grunting, slippery and shiny on my chest I knew I would have done the whole thing again in a heartbeat just to feel that. Here are some pictures of the event and of my beautiful little girl (sorry they are big - I can only just work photobucket!).

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

mumsphotos078-1.jpg

Awww congrats babe she is beautiful! Lovely name aswell :)

Funny how peoples birth plans never actually seem to go to 'plan'. :hug:

Fantastic pics - you must be so so proud. Twenty-four days left until my due date and pics like yours just make me forget about the lack of sleep and rib pain!

Congratulations! She is truely beautiful! And a great day to be born on :wink:

She is gorgeous and I love your choice of name :hug:

She is gorgeous hun! :hug: You made me all teary reading that and remembering my babies births!! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back