NHS has left me shocked

marley

Reaction score
I've just moved from London to the midlands (northamptonshire).

I went to the GP today and i was explaining that at the hospital i was reffered to, you could do a self refferal for scans.

You know if you felt unsure or just needed to be reassured there was a drop in service mon-friday 8.30-11.30.

Likewise, i mentioned to them about recieving some counselling, and they said the list is full until april, ask us a gain May??? wtf lol

Im generally shocked.

Drop in scans is that just a london thing or do people else where find it hard to get scans or counselling wherew they are?

xx

Everything up here hun is appointment only, suppose it is due to the population of up here and lack of staff and facilities, sorry to hear they are mucking you about x

Wow, Ive never heard of drop in scans. I started my pregnancy living in North London and there was nothing like this and half way through moved back to Gloucestershire where again, theres nothing like that. I can see why the drop in scans arent readily available as some people may abuse it and go every week which may in turn end up worrying the mother. The counselling I think should be made more available to people though as having to wait until May to possibly speak to someone is too long.

Hi Marley, I'm from Northamptonshire and have never heard of you being able to drop in to have a reassurance scan so can only assume it's a London thing. Having said that I had about 5 scans before my 12 week scan due to bleeding in early pregnancy and then I was referred to a consultant who was happy to scan me every week until I felt reassured.
I was referred by my doctor for my first early scan, then I called the EPU when I started bleeding on a saturday and they booked me in for the tuesday. But I'm sure I was only booked in because I had been there before.
How far along are you? If you want reassurance could you afford to go private for an early scan?

Hi Marley, I'm from Northamptonshire and have never heard of you being able to drop in to have a reassurance scan so can only assume it's a London thing. Having said that I had about 5 scans before my 12 week scan due to bleeding in early pregnancy and then I was referred to a consultant who was happy to scan me every week until I felt reassured.
I was referred by my doctor for my first early scan, then I called the EPU when I started bleeding on a saturday and they booked me in for the tuesday. But I'm sure I was only booked in because I had been there before.
How far along are you? If you want reassurance could you afford to go private for an early scan?

I had an early one done at 7 weeks, so i reckon ill just sit tight now! I went to the doctors today and we were just laughing cause i said it seemed like a scan party down at the old hospital lol.

Im glad they have been so supportive Roo!

Will you be giving birth at the General?
xx

Wow, Ive never heard of drop in scans. I started my pregnancy living in North London and there was nothing like this and half way through moved back to Gloucestershire where again, theres nothing like that. I can see why the drop in scans arent readily available as some people may abuse it and go every week which may in turn end up worrying the mother. The counselling I think should be made more available to people though as having to wait until May to possibly speak to someone is too long.

Hey Milio Im from Islington originally and i know my friends had to wait for an appointment.

I was attending a hospital in South London. I agree, it can potentially cause more anxiety, but it was a nice service to offer. x

I haven't decided yet, I want to look at both the General and Kettering but I've heard good and bad about both. Have you thought about it yet?

I do agree that the time they have told you for the councilling is far too long, I'd talk to my doctor about that.

Even though I was having scans every week, I was convinced every week that something would be wrong. Pregnancy certainly is a worrying time. But if you're not bleeding or having cramps etc I would try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy.

Well i did have a pink tinge thing Roo, but its gone now.

I reckon i'll end up at the general as i live around the corner, i can waddle myself over there worse case senario lol

How you feeling now hun at 26 wks? It feels so far away xx

p.s. ladies, i must say ladies, im really not slagging the NHS, i am pro NHS- i just think i was spoilt at my old NHS primary care trust!! :) xx

Well i did have a pink tinge thing Roo, but its gone now.

I reckon i'll end up at the general as i live around the corner, i can waddle myself over there worse case senario lol

How you feeling now hun at 26 wks? It feels so far away xx

p.s. ladies, i must say ladies, im really not slagging the NHS, i am pro NHS- i just think i was spoilt at my old NHS primary care trust!! :) xx

When I spoke to the hospital when I bled the second time, they said it was unlikley I was having a mc because I wasn't in any pain so would say a pink tinge would be nothing to worry about especially as it's stopped now. I passed several clots and had very heavy bleeding (sorry if TMI).

I'm feeling OK at 26 weeks. I've been signed off work for the next 3 weeks because I've got high blood pressure and excess fluid around the baby so it's not been the easiest pregnancy so far, but am not complaining as I know how lucky I am to be in this situation.

I think I'll probably end up going to the General as the care I have had has been brilliant so far but I want to see Kettering just to double check!

Good luck until your 12 week scan... let us know how you get on. Do you have the date for it yet?

I think that it's probably a good thing that they don't do drop in scans everywhere. Like Melio10 said, people would end up going every week just to see their baby. There are also several studies showing that even 20 minutes of exposure to ultrasound has an effect on growth rates in human cells, and that it can affect brain development in rats. The effects are small and ultrasound is still considered perfectly safe but this is why official advice is to only have scans that are strictly necessary for your pregnancy e.g. nuchal, the structural checks and any others you are referred for.

When I spoke to the hospital when I bled the second time, they said it was unlikley I was having a mc because I wasn't in any pain so would say a pink tinge would be nothing to worry about especially as it's stopped now. I passed several clots and had very heavy bleeding (sorry if TMI).

I'm feeling OK at 26 weeks. I've been signed off work for the next 3 weeks because I've got high blood pressure and excess fluid around the baby so it's not been the easiest pregnancy so far, but am not complaining as I know how lucky I am to be in this situation.

I think I'll probably end up going to the General as the care I have had has been brilliant so far but I want to see Kettering just to double check!

Good luck until your 12 week scan... let us know how you get on. Do you have the date for it yet?[/QUOTE]

you poor thing, sounds like youve been through a lot! Well done for being strong and coming through it!

It does seem like its one thing after another though! Are you based in N'ton or are you in kettering?

My DD is 4th October, the date didnt change when i had my 7wk scan. Whens yours?xx

We're in N'pton but on the outskirts so it won't take long to get to Kettring if thats what we decide.

I'm due 5th June but because of excess fluids have increased risk of preterm labour so need to get my butt in gear and get organised and start buying cots etc!

This pregnancy certainly has been 1 thing after another, but I forget all the problems when I feel my baby kicking me! It's all worth it!

Is this your first pregnancy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back